Monday, March 29, 2010

Adepticon: an Honorable Result

First, I think it both customary and appropriate to offer a hearty “congratulations” to all the winners from this weekend’s Adepticon –I mean this with regard to the wide spectrum of game systems and tournaments and other competitions. It was a great weekend, and the winners should be rightly proud of their accomplishments.

Having said that, I think the real winner here must be our glorious hobby itself, in all of its robust manifestations. Although this was my first Adepticon, I always come off of these kinds of events feeling tremendously energized with all manner of ambitious hobby ideas that I’ve absorbed from so much awesomeness. I mean really, the amount of talent and genius and general skill out there is really quite staggering… and to see it all lamped together into one giant hall. That’s just wonderful. Of course, I’ll never manage half the ideas I have floating around at the moment, but that’s not the point. My little notebook is full of schemes and other delicious morsels for the future. Half will be quite enough.

But first things first. Yesterday, I mentioned my entry into the “Rogue Demon” painting competition. I’m quite proud to report that he earned an “Honorable Mention” in the competition. He is one of just a very few models that I’ve ever painted entirely for competitive purposes and, considering the talent that appeared this weekend, I’m really quite pleased with this result.

I really like this model and, although I rarely, rarely play LoTR these days, I still love the novels and really admire quite a few of the models that have been released for this range. So, I was pleased to find a proper excuse to paint him with the care and attention he deserves. Regular readers will have heard me discuss how important select and deliberate color palates are to my way of thinking, and this guy is certainly no exception to that disposition.

Obviously, he is basically two colors: Orange and Green. That’s it ...but not quite. I’m not sure how well the photos capture this, but almost all of the shading on the orange is actually green and all the shading of the green takes orange as its base. I think this is perhaps most evident in some of the brighter areas, like the skin tones and the very end of the cloth areas.

I had to replace his sword and, in the end, this may have been my greatest weakness. On reflection, there simply isn’t enough contrast in the sword to make it visually interesting, and I got a bit nervous for some reason about my original ideas about limiting the palate. As a result, the sword looks gray when it should participate more directly with the boldness of the rest of the model.

Ah well. Next time.

More on Adepticon itself tomorrow, but in the mean time, please enjoy some of my other favorite models from the competition (note: not all of these were winners, as such, but simply represent a selection of my favorites. Please check out The Painting Corps for the more official outcomes). Cheers.

p.s. and as has almost become customary at this point, I've posted this entry and then thought of one last detail that I'd like to mention. Yesterday Alexander asked about the base. I intend to make something like a tutorial on this topic in the very near future. Sorry, Alex, that this isn't really an answer to your question, but one is coming, I promise.

HAHA. I jest, of course. But seriously, check out these beauties:




8 comments:

Muskie said...

Some nice figs, and congrats on doing well. I hear a Canadian won Best in Show. :-d

Da Masta Cheef said...

Congrats on the Honorable Mention!

I got an honorable mention a few years back @ the now defunct Atlanta Gamesday, Probably the closest I'll ever come to a trophy.

Warhammer39999 said...

Congrats on the nod. I think a big part of the problem is the mini you chose. While it's nice, it just doesn't have that WOW factor required to win medals, ya know? Especially with that really plain looking sword.

It's great to get an honorable mention though! Congrats!

bsmoove said...

Thanks all. I genuinely appreciate the comments and feedback. I'm quite pleased with the result (I must admit). Here's to hoping for the future.

@Cheef. Nice one. Any chance you'll be getting to another gamesday when they move it to Memphis? I wouldn't be so quick to give up just yet.

@ 39.9K. Yes. The sword. ugh. And that's a good point about the 'wow' factor. I'm really fond of the model itself, but I guess that I know what you mean about its more general and/or competitive appeal. He's a particular kind of model -an acquired taste perhaps; however, at the end of the day, I have to like the model really quite a lot if I'm going to want to paint it well, and I've always just let that be my sole criteria. I know that I should start to think competitively if I ever hope to do well in competitions, but I have a hard time bringing myself to that point. Again, I have to be enjoying myself or none of this will work...

It's a bit of a Catch 22, I suppose.

And that's the thing about aesthetics. They're so entirely subjective. You should check out the mini that won best in show. For my taste, it's not particularly dynamic, just quite well sculpted and stunningly well painted.

Nevertheless, I'm thrilled with the results all round.

Da Masta Cheef said...

lol, oddly enough, if GD moves to Memphis it'll actually be farther away (roughly another 3 hours drive) than Baltimore. Tennessee is a wide state, and Memphis is in the exact opposite corner that I live in.

Who knows, but the point is moot this year @ least unless I go to GD Baltimore on a whim if the bank account looks like it could handle it (odds are against that though).

HOTpanda said...

Congrats BSMoove on the not only the nod but for making the trip to Adepticon. Really wish I could of been there this year but sadly I will have to wait for 2011 to pop my Adepticon virginity.

bsmoove said...

@Cheef. Funny you should mention that. There was a couple at Adepticon advertising a convention in Chattanooga sometime in the next month or so. The guy's name is Shane (I believe) and he seemed super cool. His companion (in full Sister regalia) was mercifully sporting the only bit of costumery I saw the entire weekend. It was a shameless bit of self-promotion, but seemed to be working with the masses quite nicely. Anyway, you can find them here: www.diceheadsiege.com. I've no idea what they've got planned or what it'll be like, but it's a start at least.

@Panda. It'll be worth the trip. Maybe we could get a game in.

Da Masta Cheef said...

Actually we went to that last year & had quite a bit of fun. Still kind of bouncing the idea around. I don't have 2k of anything painted up which limits me to the doubles tourney again, its the finding an available teammate that's causing me issues. I believe Shane still hosts the 'Maul in the mall' tourney in July(?), I may have to aim for that to allow for some painting time.