Friday, March 12, 2010

End of Term Terminators: Autocannon


And so we conclude this not particularly nostalgic, but nevertheless entertaining, break from a barely established routine. Thank you for humoring me as I un-shelved these old Book Warden Terminators to end our Winter Term here at the University. As I often say about my undergraduate degree, “I didn’t learn too much, but had a real nice time.” I hope you did as well.

To conclude, I've saved the most worthy of the group. At the very least, he represents my most ambitious basing to date and, to me, he remains a solid reminder that I don't need to only think of the base as what happens under the model itself.

My desire to find some Post-Gothic cavernous archival setting continued, of course, and at every turn I tried as hard as I was able to evoke the neglected mustiness of any old library. My favorite example, by miles, is the Autocannon Terminator. I believe the doorframe comes from Hero Quest (?), or some similar game, and I'm still particularly fond of the way in which he appears to be ducking out from one passage into the next, his hand still supporting the gesture on the frame itself.

No book is safe. No stack too obscure. Dewy Decimal beware.

As I said, I hope you've enjoyed this bit of a retrospective. We will recommence with the normal program -a WIP- for Sunday. Be sure to check in during the coming weeks, as Dark Templar and I have a (very) little something brewing for the Blood Angels release next month. Good times.

7 comments:

Mordian7th said...

I've really enjoyed this recent series of articles, and I especially like this model - good stuff!

HOTpanda said...

You were absolutely right with saving the best for last. The head on this model is what pulls me will the door frame makes me want to see the model from all angles. Top notch.

Max said...

Ditto what was said above- it's very lifelike, and shows us a lot of the caution as the Terminator attempts to move silently and swiftly through the library.

Gotthammer said...

4th vote for him being a success. The hand on the frame is a very nice touch.

Lach said...

This is an excellent model, very well painted. I almost get a "through the looking glass" feel from him with his dual colors and the transition on the base from stone to metal grate.

Da Masta Cheef said...

Teh duality of teh color scheme make as if we're looking at 2 termies, yet all on the same base, nicely done!!!

bsmoove said...

Thanks, Gentlemen. I'm really pleased that you've enjoyed this Terminator. As I mentioned, he's still a particular favorite of mine despite the fact that I shelved his army over 5 or 6 years ago.

I'm also glad to hear that you've been enjoying the sequence of posts. I was worried that I might be stretching it out a bit, but I've found that I have much more than I expected to say about all of this, and, well, it just worked out that way.

To the best of my ability, I'm going to be structuring each week around a specific theme or idea, etc. Please let me know if there is anything in particular that you'd like to see more of, and I'd be happy to accommodate (for example, the positivity of your feedback has given me the notion to go dig out some more bit I've got from the Book Wardens... perhaps for future posts. I may even take another swing them. hmmmm).

See you Sunday for another WIP.