Thursday, March 25, 2010

Valhallans: Don't Turn Around woh-oh-oh...


This will be the first of two short posts today. First, something cheap and… well… cheerful- the command squad of First Platoon in order to round out this week’s Valhallan theme. A few readers will recognize the core elements here as the basic command unit.

One point of interest that you probably can’t see all to clearly but the Commanding Officer is armed with a hand-flamer (which, I believe, is no longer viable, although I hear is making something of comeback in the new BA codex). While I generally like to wysiwyg as much as possible, the position of said gun made the replacement of it more trouble than I was willing to commit at this point, perhaps sometime in the future, and the gun itself is pretty rare/cool. It seems a shame to waste it.

The squad is kitted out much like the others in First Platoon, but with some nicer details around the cuffs and cleaner, slightly more vibrant whites. Again, this makes the units immediately recognizable when stuck amongst others, but also visually coherent with the rest of the army. The detailing also fits fluff-wise as it seems likely that a reasonably important, senior unit would have nicer amenities. Good news starts at the top, after all, not the bottom.


And then der Kommissar. As I’ve mentioned, I want my Valhallans to have a heavily “campaigned” feel to them, and I suspect that as the units wear down over the seasons, a Commissar or three or four might be a handy way to make sure that everyone was still marching in the same direction. As such, this guy is only the first of several Commissars that will be making an appearance on the table next to my Valhallan regulars. This is a really simple swap conversion. I like the model but knew that a “power klaw” would be rather excessive for my Valhallans. Again, there’s almost certainly a wysiwyg problem here, but I’m not so bothered. Sometimes “cool” must triumph over “practical.”

Full points to anyone that spotted the 80’s reference (which was inspired by WH39.9K’s really generous article from yesterday. Be sure to check out his site in general as it is packed full of fantastic articles not just related to yours truly).

Later today, I’ll be posting a small item about Adepticon. You may have been hearing about a bit this lately and, because it would be rude not to, I’ll be visiting Saturday and briefly on Sunday. So be sure to stop back later for an interesting surprise or two related to Adepticon…

3 comments:

Magilla Gurilla said...

Excellent looking units.
Yes, the hand flamer is gone. However, I see no real problem with this weapon except in tournaments which are WYSIWYG.
Keep the pictures coming!

Jonathan said...

Great, now I have that damn song in my head. Thanks a bunch...

Oh, and the figs look nice, too :P

bsmoove said...

I'm not particularly worried about tournament play; I've yet to enter one, and only ever toy with the idea for fleeting moments. I have a lot of respect for the guys that are out there slugging it out at a highly competitive level, but for me... I enjoy the game too much to have to take it that seriously, if you know what I mean.

Apologies, Jonathan. I've had it stuck in my head all day too (and full points for getting the reference).