Thursday, May 20, 2010

WIP week: On the Clock, day 4



As I predicted, hobby time was at a minimum yesterday. To be candid, I only managed the small half hour that I did because I felt obligated to accomplish at least something for the post today –I didn’t want to leave you guys hanging with just “dead air” or a test pattern or somesuch. That would be ungentlemanly.

So, in a half hour I began by blocking off their bases with Charadon Granite, primarily because I noticed them in the photos from yesterday, and because I knew it would only take a very brief moment or two.

While the Charadon was open, and while I still had a few moments to spare, I worked on the smallest areas remaining on these Raptors -their faces. I worked up from that Charadon with Dheneb Stone. When I’d just about managed a highlight of pure Dheneb, I gave all the skin areas a wash of Gryphonne Sepia. I’m hoping the Sepia tones will bring some life into the flesh while maintaining the sinister blackened appearance. I’ll still have another highlight or two before they’re completed, but that will be for another day.

And that was all I could manage. Usually, Wednesdays are a hobby free zone, a much-valued day of rest between an otherwise ambitious schedule.

Speaking of which, my hit counter went through the roof yesterday. Are Wednesdays a huge blog day and I didn’t know it? Do I need to rethink my day of rest? The only other time I posted on a Wednesday, I had a reasonably large showing (here), but I thought it had something to do with the Space Wolves. I’m vexed. Perhaps I need to reconsider my posting schedule.

And one more note on that end. There were some very kind comments yesterday about discipline and whatnot. I have to say that in days past, I would often wait for both inspiration and a very large window of opportunity to knock on my head before I really knuckled down for some proper hobby effort. As such, my projects were almost always in fits and starts (a month of mind-numbing work and then nothing for weeks and weeks), and often left abandoned if the project wasn’t finished by the time my window had closed and/or inspiration had evaporated.

I changed all that a few years back, but I must say that this blog has actually been great help in keeping me focused on the mechanics of slow, motivated, day-to-day discipline. For example, I initially imagined that Hailed vs. Hated would be a ten-week experiment and a great help sorting my inspiration and motivation for finishing the Arrugginiti (who, at that time, weren’t yet called the Arrugginiti, and who were otherwise about 25% finished, maybe less). Instead, we’ve really only just started some of the more compelling parts of the mess, and the army is expanding with very little sign of slowing down. I can’t thank Dark Templar enough for his ideas, and for helping me with this quirky little experiment.

What I’m trying to say here is the blog has been great for my hobby experience. Moreover, you, the gentle readers, have been tremendous inspiration and help. Great stuff. Thank you. I genuinely would like this blog to be something rather exceptional, and any/all comments, suggestions, requests you have to that end would be tremendously appreciated.

Wednesday:
Hobby: .5 hours
Blog: .5 hours

TOTAL HOURS THIS WEEK: 6.75

5 comments:

Warhammer39999 said...

You're doing your fair share of inspiration as well. This is certainly one of my favorite blogs on the net.

By the way, how many times per day does someone tell you of your striking similarity to Moby?

Magilla Gurilla said...

In a half hour you did what...
LOL... you made me shoot tea out my nose.
In a half hour I could not even manage to do a tenth of that.
Okay, I like the miniatures so far, I am really interested now in what the final faces will look like.

HOTpanda said...

Thanks to you and this WIP Week I have not only managed to post two days in a row but also managed to work on models for two consecutive days as well. Yesterday I worked on my Traitor Version of Njal for an epic 3hrs. EWith today working on some wulfen and grey hunters for about 1 1/2 hrs/ Thanks for the inspiration.

Blitzspear said...

This blogging lark is pretty addictive and has kept me back at the hobby longer then any other time and it's blogs like yours that keeps me posting the random stuff i do so keep at it mate. I'm really enjoying your WiP week i may try something like that myself and i've never even thought of keeping track of the time i spend every week.

b.smoove said...

Thanks fellas.

@ Wh 39.9K. Haahaa. Moby? I think that's a first (that I'm aware of, I should say). Perhaps I'll change my moniker to "B. Moby".

@ Mags. There's not too much skin on these guys, so it went quickly. ha.

@ HotPanda. 3 consecutive hours is a dream!! I'm envious. Can't wait to see your army.

@ Blitz. Cheers. I've taken the liberty of adding you to the blogroll. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with.