Thursday, June 3, 2010

Memory Lane: Golden Daemon 2007

So on Tuesday I mentioned that I was going to show some shots today of my second-ever Golden Daemon entry from Games Day 2006… part of that is correct. He is the second ever model that I painted entirely for a competition; however, the year was 2007.

After being utterly demoralized by the staggering competition in 2005, and after having a figure that I’d worked to the best of my ability summarily dismissed, I simply couldn’t face the thought of it again only one year later. I simply didn’t feel prepared or capable to compete.

Moreover, while collecting my figure I spoke with one of those semi-celebrities who work the competition like it’s their job, and he casually (almost smugly) mentioned that he’d spent over 200 hours on his winning entry. Bronze. 200 hours. If I’d been drinking, fluid would have come out my nose when he said it. I barely stifled a genuine, hearty guffaw.

If I average roughly 10 hours of hobby each week, I’m looking at nearly half the year on one project if I want to meet that standard. That’s well beyond either my mental or physical ability.

Well. After one year off, the idea began to seem compelling once more. My painting had improved a bit in the time between, and I felt ready to spend an ambitious amount of effort on a single figure… but still nothing like the pros. In all, we’re looking at significantly less than a mont, maybe two and a half weeks on this guy. That was, and still is, the extreme upper limit of my potential.

He made the first cut, but didn’t place. For me, this was glorious. Simply glorious.

These photos aren’t the best, but you can see with reasonable clarity that he’s the intellectual and technical precursor to my third (and most recent) competitively painted model, who also received an "honorable mention" at this year’s Adepticon. Huzzah.

Again, the Ghoul is limited in palatte, but this time there’s more play between the orange and green complements instead of being steady and monotone like ole Sharky from Tuesday. The blending was pretty challenging, but I tried to keep the whole model together by highlighting both the orange and the green shades with the same yellowish color. It’s a nice trick that I still use today.

One note: You may be thinking to yourself. Three competitive entries. Two LoTR models and one WHFB. Not a single bit of 40K in sight. Indeed. I also have a reasonable but perhaps neglected WHFB collection -although in the last four years I’ve only played one game and I’ve not painted anything new. Still, I expect that to change a bit in the coming months. No points for guessing why.

4 comments:

Da Masta Cheef said...

quote: 'He made the first cut, but didn’t place. For me, this was glorious. Simply glorious.'

lol, I had the same feeling when at an Atlanta Gamesday a few years back my Dark Hands' Predator made first cut, though didn't place. It made it onto GW's website as an honorable mention for a year or so though. :-)

Magilla Gurilla said...

2 and 1/2 weeks on one model....that is beyond my ability...as for 200 hours....I think I would go and find a new hobby as that borders on tedious.
200 Hours...I spent 200 hours watching a cave in Afghanistan once...that was tedious...
...painting any one model for 200 hours would remind me of that and I think I would find a new hobby!

As for the model, he really does resemble your most recent entry into competitive painting. I really like the simple palette.

b.smoove said...

@ Cheef. Have you posted photos of that pred? I'd love to see it. With competition so high, I think an "honorable mention" is worth "victory" status for those of us who do this as a hobby.

@ Mags. I know what you mean. Well, not the part about a cave specifically, but in principle I understand. I think at least one problem with all three of these entries is that their are not exactly dynamic models. We shall see what the future holds in store.

Da Masta Cheef said...

Yup, in my log of past posts, April's the 'My Space Marine Conundrum' post has pics of it. Its the green predator, pics are kinda dark though as I hadn't started using a proper light box yet. I think the judges liked the smooth transition of the drybrushed grime on the lower hull.

And I agree, an honorable mention is as good as a 'win' in my book!