So. The Arrugginiti (my CSM army: see here) already have two Daemon Princes available in their muster –both of which were inspired by the tremendously cool Minotaur set that came out some time ago. This may seem immodest, but they were great fun to convert and I'm really quite pleased with the result. Although only one has seen tabletop action thus far, he performed reasonably well -thereby doubly rewarding my effort, if you will.
And then GW went ahead and released those River Trolls. If there was one hesitation that I had originally with regard to these Daemon Princes, it was that they aren’t particularly or obviously devoted to the patron god of the army, dear old Nurgle. They are, at the end of the day, plenty daemonic and sinister, but not so much in a Nurgle capacity.
So I’ll say it again… and then GW went ahead and released those River Trolls.
Sometimes decisions just make themselves. Granted resistance was minimal, but I could not deny the urge (nay, need) to have another bash at a Daemon Prince or two when I saw these Trolls. Just look at the vomit!!! Apart from rot in general, what says "Nurgle" better than vomit?
(image used without permission: no harm, no foul. etc)
And so, I’ve been redirecting every loose moment toward this monster, who will be the Arrugginiti’s third, but not final, Daemon Prince (ahem. the vomit will be saved for the fourth). Perhaps I should just push through and make a full seven in honor of Pappa N?
For the conversion, I’ve trimmed the seaweed that was tangled across the arms and weapon of the original, and I’ve extended the wood on the weapon slightly so that it might better represent a scythe (still working on that one. It may change). This was surprisingly tricky, as I found blending the putty to seamlessly reflect that of the weapon as it stood already a bit more difficult than I’d anticipated.
The mess around his head will be a hood. As with a few other characters in the Arrugginiti, I want him to have some notable details suggesting the Grim Reaper.
Finally, I extended his left leg to make him a little bit less squatty and a little bit more dynamic (which is something that I’ve picked up from Dark Templar and which still resonates quite strongly with my thinking about conversions). I want him to appear mobile, or at least have the potential for mobility, which the squatting position doesn’t really offer.
All the putty work has been pretty challenging for me. I’ve found it sucking more time than I’d initially imagined, and I haven’t even come to the smoothing or detailing yet. Still, there’ll be plenty more to come on this guy in the very near future.
Oh, and to all the American readers out there, Happy Fourth. I hope and trust that you are celebrating grand Englightenment concepts like liberty and equality by fervently roasting meat, processed meat, and/or meat by-products on the grill. It would be rude not to.