Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Ogre Challenge: Alternative Verdigris Experiment

++++[BUT FIRST, don’t forget to check out a very important CONTEST / SWAGFEST , all the relevant details of which you can find here. Everyone is welcome to enter, and anyone who does so wins something. Do it. Do it.]++++ 

On Monday, I mentioned that I’ve set myself a rather ambitious goal this week. That’s true. I set before me the challenge to complete all the “test” minis I’ve been doing for Pitmann’s Ogres (11 in total), as well as to start and finish 12 more basic run-of-the-mill Ogre Bulls… in 6 days.


To be candid, I’m not sure that I’m going to be able to pull this off. The last two days haven’t been particularly forgiving, and there’s little time to spare with this much plastic on the table. Moreover, I didn’t want to approach these next two posts as simple “look, I’m painting” write-ups. Instead, I’m trying to experiment a bit with my own recipes and document, thoroughly, how that works.

Pitmann gave me a simple directive with this Ogre Army: Green. That’s the entire brief. Green. Obvious, Verdigris is the natural choice for metallics given such a succinct directive, but I didn’t want to simply dredge through the same formula that I’ve already described in a previous post from May. No. Pitamann’s Ogres are going to be a deep, dark green, and the Verdigris should follow that lead… On that note, I should mention that what follows is not a refined or distinct process. It is ad hoc, and experimental. In fact, there are several steps that might easily be disregarded entirely if one likes. Still, I wanted to record the entire process as I thought, and worked, it through.

Here goes.

(You’ll note that I have kept the Gut Plate and Iron Fists aside. I usually wouldn’t attempt sub-assemblies of this nature, but time is of the essences, and I think this might help accelerate the process. Also, in the test minis, I found the need to work around these two specific items a real pain when painting the details as such; it seemed a natural step).



The Gut Plates and Fists were blue-tacked to the bases and, after priming, I started with a Dark Angels Green and Tin Bitz mix. This basically made metallic Green basecoat. So far so good.


Inexplicably, I then went with a Dark Flesh and Shining Gold mixture for the first basecoat. Dark Flesh will be the base color of the skin tone, and I think I wanted to keep that somewhere in the mixture; later, I took some steps that made this step irrelevant and/or nonsensical. Ah well. I also don’t have Brass or Bronze colors at the moment, and this often works as a good substitute. 


Straight Shining Gold. I was working a bit too quickly at this point, and my overbrush became something entirely too aggressive. I wasn’t worried just yet, as I knew there were a few washes in the future that would help push the colors back down into the recesses.


I tired to make my wash a bit more sinister and dark here. For that reason I brought back the Dark Angels Green and mixed it with Scaly Green (rather than my usual Turquoise). The Dark Angels Green, again, is designed to link, visually and subtly, the army as a whole.


As this dried, I wasn’t quite content with the overall gloom and seediness of the effect I’d achieved, so I hit it all again with a wash of Badab Black and Thrakka Green. That got me where I wanted to be.



Finally, I was much more careful to clear my brushes of excess paint and work toward a more genuine drybrush of both Shining and then Burnished Gold.


Brilliant? No. Not exactly. But for 12 hungry, but otherwise mundane, Ogres, it should do the trick. We’ll see about that on Friday when I hope pull together a Skin Recipe and more… See you then.

6 comments:

Magilla Gurilla said...

I love the way it looks. The dirtier effect would look nice on my Chaos Army if I decided to go with The Reborn.
I just fear that the amount of time it takes might be to consuming given my extremely limited time each day to work on models.
I will definitely have to give it some thought.

Big Jim said...

I really dig the way these Bronze looking bits turned out!

This is a fantastic tutorial.

This is very similar to how my Soul Reapers are painted. Except I use bronze colored paint rather than gold.


Very Kool.

-Jim

b.smoove said...

Thanks fellas. I appreciate the kind words and support. Now back to work.
ha.

Big Jim said...

Glorious!

Rushputin said...

I think I like this approach more than your other approach. I'm going to have to find something to try this out on. It looks great!

b.smoove said...

Cheers Rush. I hope it works for you. Please let me know.