Monday, August 9, 2010

OOP week: CSM and Mechanicus(?)

While in conversation with WH39.9K, I mentioned that I might have a few of those very, very old CSM lying around from the Rogue Trader era. The plan was to find one suitable for our purposes and run a test paintjob on him (which was my failed gambit to spare OOP CSM#4 from the vat).

Anyway, inspired by our correspondence, I had a genuinely ambitious rummage through my basement and boxes. I quite literally dug through all my GW stuff from top to bottom. Naturally, I only found what I'd been looking for once I’d given up the ghost and re-discovered a pretty mess from my past. Here’s some of what I found:

I should confess that I had absolutely no notion that it was called the Rogue Trader era at the time. In fact, I wouldn’t have even been able to tell you what Rogue Trader was; I was much more interested in spears and magic helmets, you see. Still, I enjoyed painting and was intrigued by a game called “Space Marine,” which was an entirely different scale (Epic) but had something to do with, well, mayhem and carnage in space. From that, I knew all things Chaos should be multicolored... and that they are.

 I also found these two quirky nutters. I’m not sure what they are meant to be… Mechanicus? The cloaks, masks, and gratuitous wires certainly seem to suggest so. The one-headed eagle imagery on the weapon is a mystery to me -certainly not the Omnissiah. Their backpacks are amazing (more photos on that soon) but, again, I think the weapons might need a second look or perhaps a happy bit of conversion. I am otherwise pleased to report that these two fellows followed OOP CSM#4 into the tub, and will be getting proper attention and new paint in the coming weeks (months?).


Our stroll down Memory Lane continues on Wednesday when I unleash the Loyalists. You've been warned. 

4 comments:

Da Masta Cheef said...

'I’m not sure what they are meant to be… Mechanicus?'

Those are old RT era Mechanicus guys as I recall, and tend to sell for stupid amounts of money on ebay whenever they make a rare appearance.

The Inner Geek said...

Spear and Magic Helmet?

Spear and Magic Helmet!!!

If it's not a Bugs Bunny reference, it should be.

Courtesy of Stuff of Legends, straight from the1991 Catalog. Adeptus Mechanicus 3. An awesome model. I wish I still had mine!

b.smoove said...

@ Da Cheef. Cheers. I can imagine why. I don't think that I could ever part with one of them.

@ Inner Geek. Indeed! "oh mighty fine warrior of fine fighting stock. May I enquire... [chomp chomp chomp] what is up doc?"

That link is amazing. I'm certain that I have at least one of those Goon Servitors buried somewhere, but I'm drooling at the others in the bundle. I have no recollection whatsoever of that Custodes, but he is amazing.

Cheers for the link.

Magilla Gurilla said...

I really try hard not to dig around in my stock of Warhammer 40K stuff; well, at least when my wife is around; otherwise she get irritated when learning just how much of the stuff I own.

Great models, I actually think I have the old Inquisitor model lying around somewhere.