Sunday, September 12, 2010

WIP: AdeptiCon table(s)


There’s not been much time of late for the hobby end of this hobby. I'm sure you all know exactly how I feel. Solidarity.

Having said that, I did manage to sneak a couple of hours about mid week for some really quite exciting work on the prototype of the Special Operations: Killzone tables that I’m building for AdeptiCon. That last sentence sounds suspiciously like I'm taking all the credit. It shouldn't. I've only been able to get this monster  underway with the generous help of my good friend, and master carpenter, Tall Paul. As we say in Chicago, I "know a guy."

Quite naturally, the dog was on hand to help when and how he was able.

This may seem like an early start for a convention that won’t happen until April but, even with Tall Paul on the case with a practical and advisory capacity, there’s a mountain of work to do -best to start early. Well, it was a lovely day for a quite pleasant change of pace and the opportunity to work with my hands out of doors.

The learning curve on this one has already been quite steep, but Tall Paul has been tremendously helpful. Although he’s never played a game of 40K in his life, he knows. He just knows. That’s him with the drill in this photo. He knows.

If all goes to plan, this table will be the first of four, but really Tall Paul and I are just figuring out how the whole thing comes together. At this early stage, we really just want to iron out all the wrinkles so that we can work more efficiently on the remaining tables. 

Again, if we don’t encounter any major hiccups, this will be table number one. Naturally, I will document tables two through four, which will likely come together simultaneously.

Speaking of plans, here’s a shot of a very, very rough sketch for the prototype.

Clearly, I’ve taken the Sin of Alacrity as a specific point of inspiration, but don’t be fooled. We are not building just another Space Hulk. In fact, this isn’t going to be a Space Hulk at all. More on that soon. 

Next, we have to build the rest of the basic floor plan and doors. Then we’re off to playtest the Killzone Ruleset in order to feel how theory meets practice. Specifically, we’ll be looking for patterns in the ways that games play on the table, and if these patterns point toward fundamental problems, or otherwise need amending. If all goes to plan, then the fine detailing begins. 


16 comments:

sonsoftaurus said...

Looking good! Make sure you've got a way to move those things to the con!

Papa JJ said...

Wow! Quite a monumental WIP update, you certainly do not work in half measures either. Great start on the new table, I was impressed even before you began discussing tables 2, 3, and 4. What?!? This is a truly exciting development and I'm happy to see that Killzone will be well represented at AdepitCon. Once again... wow!

Student Teacher said...

wow! I can't wait to see more updates on this.

Brent said...

I'm really excited for you, man - it seems like lately there's been all sorts of cool things going on in your neck of the woods!

The Independent Characters said...

wow - this is getting me even more excited about the Killzone tournament at Adepticon! I can't wait to see how this project progresses and what the end result is!

Magilla Gurilla said...

That board looks fantastic. I have to agree that you really don't work in half measures...all or nothing eh!?

#2501 said...

That board really is quite an undertaking. Can't wait to see it kitted out!

Big Jim said...

That is going to be pure Win!

I look forward to the updates! Adepticon is going to be awesome, I cannot wait!

Jim

The Inner Geek said...

Those tables look like they'll be pretty solid. Are they heavy? To quote Boris 'the Blade' Yurninove, "Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work you can always hit them with it".

Dezzo said...

Great looking table.

Any plans to make the maze modular?

Sidney Roundwood said...

These tables look really excellent. I can't wait to see how they turn out. And your planning is perfect - it's always best to start with plenty of time before the main event. This is going to be tremendous. Good luck!!!

Derina said...

I need to move to the USA.

b.smoove said...

Gentlemen, thank you all for your support. I am genuinely stunned to see so much encouragement for a work that is still so basic. I promise that there will be plenty more as these monsters evolve. Thank you.

Half Measure? Some time ago, a friend of a friend told me, "if you're going to be a bear, be a grizzly."

It sounded better in his accent.

@ Inner Geek. It is wildly heavy, but I've got a strong back, as does Tall Paul.

@ Dezzo. The Sin of Alacrity is modular, so these tables are going to be more solidly anchored to their moorings. Still... there's always room for experimentation. hmmm.

@ Monsieur Roundwood. Thank you kindly. I must confess that I've taken quite a lot of inspiration and practical ideas from your own wonderful site. I'll be sure to note exactly where as all of this develops. Cheers.

@ Derina. I think we have room for one more.

@ one and all. thank you again.
More soon.

Derina said...

How a bout a transporter room of some sort or a set of rings from SG1?

#2501 said...

@b.smoove: You mean this new board isn't a modular series of rooms, but one enormous floor plan? Your notebook (and the marked-out wood board) make it look like you're cutting a bunch of rooms out of one big sheet.

@Derina: C'mon over. If you hurry, you'll catch our lovely fall foliage and end-of-the-year sales. Stay clear of the west coast, though: it has earthquakes.

b.smoove said...

@ #2501. Indeed. There will be four tables, which will be modular in that the four tables could be arranged in quite a variety of different combinations; however, each table will be largely decided -with an exception or two.