Friday, October 1, 2010

Visual Research: the next move



Hmmm. My next move. I’ve currently got more projects on the burner than hours in the day, and they’re all big –really big:

1). The Killzone Tables for AdeptiCon (four of). The prototype is coming along nicely; in fact, Tall Paul and I just made a materials run early in the day to bring tables two, three, and four up to speed. Glorious. My wife hasn’t yet realized exactly how much room this is going to take out of the garage… so she’s been tremendously supportive thus far. Fingers crossed.

B). Killzone from concept to distracting concept. I’ve spent a decent chunk of time not only thinking through Mission and Scenarios for the game in general, but also specifically imagining the Missions for the tables above. There’s a lot to consider.

iii). Did I mention Killzone? I’m also currently knee-deep in no fewer than four different Special Operations Groups: the Rogue Trader Loyalist Marines, a gaggle of OOP Iron Warriors, those re-kitted Orks, and a devious Catachan Group that nobody has seen yet… This is a far cry from Big Jim’s goal of creating one SOG for each race in the 40K universe (including Squats!), but it’s enough to keep my from being bored, certainly. More on all this on the tenth and beyond.

four). Finally, I’m also wrestling with a deceptively secret project that’s been taking giant mouthfuls of my hobby time, such as it is. I’ve made a solemn promise not to talk about this one yet, but I have absolute faith that you’ll enjoy it when I’m able to draw back the curtain.

And so. With all that, I’d like to take a breath or two just for a moment and share what I consider one of the simple pleasures in this hobby: visual research.


Behold this truly wicked piece of machinery from the year blah blah oh blah (never mind all that). Just look at this monster (he lives in Castel Sant’ Angelo in Rome); it’s wondrously vile and creepy.


The wheel was one of (if not) the major inspirations for my rust recipe. Although I didn't know it at first, all my efforts with the Arrugginiti started here. For example:


Of course, the fun doesn't end there.


The stone ballistics, funnily enough, are also a significant piece of my current thinking on all matters of marble and/or hewn rock.


Of course, I also like to consider less obviously violent inspiration for colors, as with the quirky stone elements pictured above (in which I am cleverly disguised as a foreigner in Northern Italy). I’ve tried to pick up the blanched-but-yellowish hues in bases like this one:


And then there's that weird way metal has of not looking obviously metallic...



These last two images are from Copenhagen, and the city is positively overrun with stunning and vivid colors, and quite often where I would have least expected to find such life. There’s no point in being coy about it. I intend to have a decent go at recreating that metallic coloring on an Honored Imperium statue or two. I hope to have more on that for Sunday’s post. Stay tuned.


As I'm feeling whistful, I'll leave you with some poetry. roughly:


"all the neighbors
think that we are
strange,
and we think the same
about them,
yet together we're the middle."


-c. bukowski (I've never actually been able to find this poem but the graffiti attributes it to bukowski, so I'm going to run with that until I find a better, more accurate, attribution). 

Thanks for indulging me on this rather pleasant visual vacation.

4 comments:

Loquacious said...

I have in my possession, a bottle of verdigris powder, which when used properly, adds such a spectacular effect to models as to make one cry. Unfortunately, I am a hack. I can't wait to see what you come up with!

Da Masta Cheef said...

Quote: 'I’ve made a solemn promise not to talk about this one yet'


Ummm, kindova oxymoron when you think about that statement...

b.smoove said...

@ Loquacious. Indeed. Hack or no, I'd love to see that powder.

@ Cheef. touche, sir. Oxymoron. I've been called worse. ha.

Loquacious said...

B Smoove-it's actually embossing powder. I had no idea it could be used on anything other than paper until I saw a mixed media artist (Tim Holtz) do a demo with it. He showed how to use it on a glass piece, which was cool- but the finale was an antique metal key which was all verdigris like that.

He didn't show HOW he did it, though. I've tried it on various scrap as I'm pretty talented at altering- no joy. I can send you a picture of the bottle, if you like. It's easily had; it's knowing how to use it that has eluded me, lol.