Wednesday, October 27, 2010

WIP: AdeptiCon Doors



First, I'd like to extend a hearty "thank you" to the lounging Gentlemen over at Gamers Lounge for their kind words about the blog. I'm new to the merits of podcasting, but I've been warming up to the experience and enjoying the Lounge tremendously (though I suspect that "lounge" here is meant to be a verb rather than a noun).

...and if you hadn’t noticed, AdeptiCon pre-registration is up and running (ahem).

I suspect by now you will know that I am in the process of making four individual tables for the AdeptiCon weekend and, although each table will be genuinely unique, they are designed to play together in one binding narrative that spans both the specific event and the grand arc of the weekend. It’s going to be big.


But, in the spirit of Kilzone itself, I’ve found that the small details make the monster: take the doors, for example.

I mentioned previously that we’d struggled with the doors a bit –both in terms of their manufacture, and in terms of their function in gameplay. Here’s what we came up with.

We pinned a thin, flat piece (equal to the width of the walls) to a door section that was just a bit thinner so that the door would look visually distinct from the wall. The initial assembly process was tricky but manageable with a bit of finesse and the odd measure of harsh language. As such, the door  would actually suspend from the flat piece, but the solution was imperfect and precocious. Unfortunately, we discovered that any given door could easily, nay tenderly, bump from its perch -particularly when in the inverted “open” position. This would not do. Not at all. 


So we placed each door back in it’s proper closed location, and drilled a small hole through the bracket and into the wall section. We then inserted and glued a dowel into that space. We trimmed the dowel, then shaved it down with a Dremmel, and then sanded the entire mechanism flush with the bracket piece so that you barely notice it when closed or open.


The dowel piece helps hold the entire contraption into place and acts as a fine place-holder when the door is set to “open.” In all, I’m quite pleased with this (labor intensive but otherwise) really quite simple solution to our door problem.  A small detail, you might say.


The game is won or lost on hundreds of small details.

8 comments:

Big Jim said...

What a Glorious solution! I am dieing to see the table with paint.

-Jim

Loquacious said...

Perhaps a dumb question (and truly not meant to be a criticism in any way; merely curious)- why not just a little dowel on top with a hole through a small tab rather than the pinning?

b.smoove said...

@ Jim. Me too.

@ Loquacious. No need to worry. Even if you were being critical (and I fully understand that you are not), I could take it.

But never mind all that. In your proposal, are you suggesting that the dowel run horizontally across the door frame? I'm not sure I see it yet, but I want to hear more. We've got three more of these bad boys to make.

Loquacious said...

No, the dowel would be LITLLE, and vertical. Um, Like...

[__]

1 on each side of the door frame on top.

Each door would have a tab that sticks out slightly at each end, with a hole drilled into it

-----O-------------o-------

The door would be able to fit over the upward dowel with the door facing down for storage and play, and then simply pick the door up and turn it with the "flap" of the door facing up when it's time to go through.

Clear as mud?

Warhammer39999 said...

I didn't understand the suggestion, but then again, I'm still trying to figure out what B did with the first door... I really can't see any difference.

The Inner Geek said...

Genius work. You are like a carpentry ninja.

Also, based on Loquacius description, I think he is suggesting exactly what you did? Maybe I don't understand what you did, or what he's suggesting... or either...

b.smoove said...

The fault, I'm certain, is in the quality of my description. More soon on all that.

Brent said...

Where did you get the Space Crusade mini? Lord knows I wish I hadn't pitched mine in a fit of house cleaning.