It’s all happening, just in very. slow. motion. While I’m chomping at the bit to move into the painting phase of this project (I think the table will really start to breath at that point), the detailing has consumed all of my attention. It’s fiddly work. And time consuming. For that reason, I’ve accomplished almost none of my usual painting this week. The sum total of my hobby time has been devoured by relatively fundamental details like this one:
What seemed like such a simple aspect of this project at first has, instead, redirected almost every second of the hobby week. Time has been extremely limited, admittedly, but when we came to the construction of these doors, we realized that we hadn’t thought the process through perfectly. We were stumped. We were vexed. I drew pictures. Tall Paul thought about engineering various degrees of incredible, and incredibly challenging, door systems. We discussed dowels, metal rods, super magnets, hinges, latching mechanisms, and more. Tall Paul’s capable of that kind of stuff, but I regret to say that I’m not.
Still, I’m rather pleased to report that Tall Paul has really taken this all on board. He’s never played 40K or KZ or any of it. And yet, I received a phonecall sometime near 10:00 Friday night. “I’ve got it,” he said. Really? It’s 10:00 on a Friday evening. Shouldn’t you be enjoying yourself? Let me dote on these details. But no. He'd been consumed by the idea and couldn't let it go until we found a proper solution.
And so, he had it. In the end the solution was one of simplicity rather than extraordinary measures. We assembled the door pieces with a small section that leaves room for additional detailing, and then slated a horizontal piece from which the door suspends (you can see those pieces above each door in the picture to the left). The door can then be flipped upside downside when “open” so that it appears to suspend in an upright position -thereby alleviating the “where do I put the door” problem that has plagued the Alacrity and was the hallmark of our other solutions.
In gaming terms, the small panel next to each door marks the spot from which it may be opened and closed. In design terms we spread the doors in unequal measures both in order to keep a sense of spatial balance/flow, and in order to disrupt the “inverted mirror” of the table. So far. So good. And of course, there are some other details you may have noticed here and there, all of which I'm really quite excited about.
As the detailing starts to wind down, ever so slowly, I hope to have some photos reasonably soon of this monster with paint on it… Soon.
See you tomorrow for some more Orkses.