Sunday, October 17, 2010

WIP: AdeptiCon Table One



It’s all happening, just in very. slow. motion. While I’m chomping at the bit to move into the painting phase of this project (I think the table will really start to breath at that point), the detailing has consumed all of my attention. It’s fiddly work. And time consuming. For that reason, I’ve accomplished almost none of my usual painting this week. The sum total of my hobby time has been devoured by relatively fundamental details like this one:

The doors.

What seemed like such a simple aspect of this project at first has, instead, redirected almost every second of the hobby week. Time has been extremely limited, admittedly, but when we came to the construction of these doors, we realized that we hadn’t thought the process through perfectly. We were stumped. We were vexed. I drew pictures. Tall Paul thought about engineering various degrees of incredible, and incredibly challenging, door systems. We discussed dowels, metal rods, super magnets, hinges, latching mechanisms, and more. Tall Paul’s capable of that kind of stuff, but I regret to say that I’m not.

Still, I’m rather pleased to report that Tall Paul has really taken this all on board. He’s never played 40K or KZ or any of it. And yet, I received a phonecall sometime near 10:00 Friday night. “I’ve got it,” he said. Really? It’s 10:00 on a Friday evening. Shouldn’t you be enjoying yourself? Let me dote on these details. But no. He'd been consumed by the idea and couldn't let it go until we found a proper solution.

And so, he had it. In the end the solution was one of simplicity rather than extraordinary measures. We  assembled the door pieces with a small section that leaves room for additional detailing, and then slated a horizontal piece from which the door suspends (you can see those pieces above each door in the picture to the left). The door can then be flipped upside downside when “open” so that it appears to suspend in an upright position -thereby alleviating the “where do I put the door” problem that has plagued the Alacrity and was the hallmark of our other solutions.

In gaming terms, the small panel next to each door marks the spot from which it may be opened and closed. In design terms we spread the doors in unequal measures both in order to keep a sense of spatial balance/flow, and in order to disrupt the “inverted mirror” of the table. So far. So good. And of course, there are some other details you may have noticed here and there, all of which I'm really quite excited about.


As the detailing starts to wind down, ever so slowly, I hope to have some photos reasonably soon of this monster with paint on it… Soon.

See you tomorrow for some more Orkses.

6 comments:

Da Masta Cheef said...

I'm curious about the logistical end of this endeavor. The Sin of Alacrity board you have looks to be in modular sections which allow for easy transport/storage. But this looks as though it'll be all on that board permanently. So do you have the room to store this year round (not to mention a pick up truck to transport it to Adepticon)? It also looks rather heavy being made of wood.

Big Jim said...

That is looking slick! I cannot wait to see this painted. Good luck with the doors/bulkheads.

I am curious how you are going to break up the table into three playable sections?

b.smoove said...

Hey Cheef. You are correct. This table is not nearly so modular as the old Alacrity components. While that was certainly doable, I also wanted to push the boat a bit further from shore with this project.

Of course there will be several standard modular components to these tables (ie: a ladder here, gangway there, extra doors, spare walls, and other detritus or mechanisms to make the board distinct each time one plays it). Otherwise, I've tried to think of each individual table itself as a "section" of a much, much bigger module. It's been fun.

I've got a strong back but, yes, they are heavy. I moved this bad boy myself the other day, but I don't plan an doing so often. Tall Paul is formidable, so we're not too worried.

As for transportation... "I know a guy" as we say.

Finally, storage. This one has been on my mind a bit lately. I may sell off some of the tables, if not all, after this runs its course. If I decide to hold on to them, I have a two car garage with only one car, so I'm not too worried just yet.

@ Big Jim. Cheers mate. I'm looking forward to it as well.

There's a small mechanism for this built into the table, but I'm going to send you an email with a more appropriate response to your question this week.

Loquacious said...

Have I missed a clue? Aren't you on the other side of the pond, and thus transport all the more a concern?

Either way, I want one. I'm not nearly as handy as you, so I'll just have to wish.

Papa JJ said...

Very clever solution for your door problem... kudos to Tall Paul for the late night inspiration. (Yes, ten o'clock does feel late to me nowadays.) I think it's great that you're including control panels for the doors, they look sufficiently large for even your Ork teams to operate. I'm very excited to see more of the detailing and the start of the painting.

b.smoove said...

@ Loquacious. No. You are spot on. Although I've lived overseas a couple of times, I currently reside in sweet home Chicago. AdeptiCon is about an hour from my house -so I'm not terribly concerned.

@ Papa JJ. Fear not. 10:00 is late for me as well. In fact, the wife often says that midnight is the new 4am. True. True.