The entire getup looks dreadful at this point, of course, and to a certain extent, it’s meant to. We started with white primer to help illuminate all of those miniscule details that are calling for attention but which can’t be seen in the normal humdrum of table construction. And surely, we’ve found more than a few places that require additional attention. Good thing we’ve started early.
In that sense, this is a kind of false progress. While I am chomping at the bit to start painting in the proper sense, this step is really about finding those carpentry and construction moments that still require a stern talking to.
And to that end, there’s an odd secondary psychological effect that this glaring white color has had on my impression of the table. No doubt you will agree. While initially, it looked rather claustrophobic to me, it now appears “wide open," too open in fact. The whole chunk suddenly looks very deserted and expansive. I’m curious to see what happens in the coming weeks when we start to paint it in earnest, and hope that a proper black basecoat will close those walls inward once more. I want claustrophobia.
You’ll note that we didn’t prime two detail areas of rock and gravel because the cooler autumn temperatures here in Chicago have slowed the drying time for the glue and we wanted to be sure that it was well-and-truly set before moving forward. For the easily confused, I should note that the photos below are from just before we set to priming. Regardless, I want to tinker a bit more on these quirky focal points before I consider them proper and ready.
The rocks need to be touched up with some wood filler yet, then sanded and carved some more, then glued a bit, then stared at mercilessly. I’ve a bit more experience on details of this nature and feel more comfortable pushing forward. Having said that, I have the creeping sense that the detailing of these tables will never end.