Saturday, November 27, 2010

WIP: IG KZ (p.3)

Although the Catachans are great fun, the real elbow in any Imperial Guard army (in my fluff-addled brain) simply must be the Commissariat. I’d originally bought several Commissars for my floundering Valhallan army that is sitting patiently in the margins. I’ve neither abandoned nor forgotten them, but figured that one less Commissar in their ranks would not be missed and might actually improve morale a tick.

Perhaps oddly enough, the Catachans don’t intuitively lend themselves very well the Commissariat theme, which made this connection a hard sell for me. After all, those sloppy uniforms and irregular gear are sure to raise an eyebrow, if not a bolt pistol, here or there. 

Moreover, just as I wanted to rethink my Catachan coloring, I wanted to move away from the SS disposition of the standard scowling Commissar. Sure I wanted him to be willing to clip a trooper’s ear as well as the next fellow, but I also wanted to imagine his motives for doing so a bit differently.

So I got to thinking about how I might fit what I want into what I know, and the red that I mentioned yesterday was the key to my puzzle. Instead of creating a Commissar that looked quite traditionally like a WWII Gestapo agent (all black and black and black with red), I tried to reach back a bit further to WWI (and force the red to complement some other colors as well). In this sense, I’ve tried to tone down the black and to pick up some of those standard military greens and khakis, as well as that red.

Although not nearly finished, I feel the coloring is coming along quite nicely in conjunction with boots and the riding crop behind his back, all to make him seem more like a WWI Ace than some surly bureaucrat. And indeed, I’ve imagined that he is a pilot, a commissar, a double agent, as well as a descendant from a storied and noble house on his homeworld; the Catachan rank-and-file are compiled from several of the more trustworthy and notable peasantry from his familial estate. If he has to shoot one in the back, well, he would do so from a resigned sense of noblesse oblige moreso than from some radical imperial devotion. And like an ace of old, I imagine he drinks mightily with his men the night before a mission knowing full well that most of them would not be sitting in the hall the following supper.

…now for a name. 

Oh, and then there's this guy. I suppose he represents one of the hands from the farm (I've always wanted to paint one of these guys).

8 comments:

Col. Corbane said...

That commissar is outstanding mate, I just love the colours, they're really realistic.

Fantastic job mate!

sonsoftaurus said...

Interesting idea for the force, maybe from an Agri-world, sort of a PDF (Plantation Defense Force).

The Antipope said...

Very nice work :)

Papa JJ said...

Fantastic stuff! I really like the background concept you've developed for this team and your Commissar is truly masterful. I love the colors you've chosen for him, but especially the idea that he would shoot his retreating companions out of a sense of noblesse oblige. That, my friend, is genius... pure 41st millennium genius! I'm still chuckling over that one. : )

The Inner Geek said...

Nice work on the Commissar for sure. You did get me thinking about what a more traditional Catachan Commissar might look like though? Might be a fun conversion to test the limits of my bitz box and meager sculpting skills!

GDMNW said...

The other comments are spot on. Thie painting and basing is spot on, nice and gritty. Blanche would be proud.

As for the Ogryn models. They're brilliant aren't they. One of these days I'll get around to picking some up but there's the usual mountain of stuff to paint first...

Da Masta Cheef said...

'…now for a name.'

Ya know, I have that exact same mini, and I call mine 'Commissar Niro'.

b.smoove said...

@ Col Corbane. Thank you very much.

@ Sons. very much the thing I had in mind -something with one foot even further in some feudal system than the rest of the universe.

@ the Antipope. Cheers.

@ Pappa JJ. I'm pleased you like that one. I wasn't sure at first.

@ Inner Geek. I would love to see what you put together. That's a great idea.

@ GDMNW. That's a very nice thing to say. As for the Ogryn's, I've been feeling the same way. I just want to paint one. No more. No less.

@ Da Masta Cheef! Really!? That's an incredibly solid name. I suspect that he kicks all kind of ace. I'm not sayin. I'm just sayin.