Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Ogryn Aldo Gruener

First. There is a massive-dan-abnett-shaped chunk of news floating about town from the good folks at AdeptiCon; if you hadn’t made plans to attend, I think you should do so now. I’ll wait.

Now. Back to your regularly scheduled program. With a handful of commissions just recently sent to their rightful owners, and with the first three books of Special Operations: Killzone safe and sorted, I’ve finally found some time to sit down properly with a paintbrush or two and attend to some overlooked, nay positively neglected, projects.

As I mentioned Monday, I have a gaggle of minis crowding the margins of my workspace, but last night I felt the need to sidestep my current vogue for assembly line painting and just sit still with a single miniature for one entire session. It’s a guilty pleasure these days, to be sure, but I’m realizing (belatedly) that this is a disappointingly infrequent occurrence.

So, Ogryn Aldo Gruener here got the nod. I have always wanted to paint one of these Ogryn fellows, and I’ve mentioned before that Killzone offers an ideal opportunity to scratch that metaphorical itch, which I have, which I did, for several hours.

He’s not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, nor representative of my best work, but I enjoyed tremendously the opportunity to focus completely in the work at hand, to experiment with some new techniques (washes), to mix some new colors (flesh), to calmly work and re-work ideas until they formed the shape (or nearly so) that I desired. Of course, he’s not quite complete, so there’ll be an opportunity to revisit that itch, but until then I intend to stumble forward in my usual capacity.

Onward. Upward.

Ogryn Aldo will likely not wander the tabletop in Commissar C. Ludo Baracca’s Team, as pictured here, but act as the anchoring element in the second Team in Baracca's Special Operations Group –a Team in which I will shamelessly indulge yet more OOP IG goodness.

Stay tuned for more on that.

See you Friday.

5 comments:

Porky said...

Looks just grand to me, even though I prefer the earlier models. The colour scheme and style are great to look at, and really suggest he's out in a hot nature, with ruddy skin and dusty clothes. It's very pulp, very rich.

Da Masta Cheef said...

Ogryns not sposed to be perfect...

b.smoove said...

@ Porky. Thank you. That's precisely the effect I was looking for (good to know that I'm on the money). Cheers.

@ Cheef. just hungry.

Bartender said...

Those ogres are ace! If I were a Catachan fighter, I'd want an ogre to be my best mate so I could show my family photos to him whilst on the Valkyre!

b.smoove said...

@ Bartender. HA again. I imagine that you would be sitting on your helmet, naturally, and that Flight of the Valkyries would be blaring from the exterior speakers. "Chaos don't surf!".