Once again, I haven't quite managed a step-by-step post for today and, once again, I intend to remedy that soon. In the mean time, here are a few old photos in which I experimented with the recipe detailed below. Once upon a time, red confounded me. No longer.
This one is fun…
I start with Merchite Red mixed with either Chaos Black or Dark Angels Green (or both) to make a sufficiently muddy-brown red for the base color.
I revisit this with a more direct mixture of Merchite Red for the first highlight, smoothing toward a pure Merchite layer.
I then work some Red Gore into Merchite for a more subtle highlight, followed in a similar manner by a selective highlight of just Red Gore. (note: on quite a few figures, I’ve been quite selective about this. In areas that are naturally shaded, I’ve tried to give the illusion of highlight but also to limit the range of tones in areas that shouldn’t appear bright necessarily. In earlier attempts, I always tried to paint all the highlights up to the brightest tone no matter where that might be on the model. As I've softened in later years, I've stepped away from this idea considerably. The effect is less photogenic, but more realistic -I find).
The final highlight is a mixture of Red Gore and Blood Red.
I then wash the red with Baal Red Wash, mixed with a bit of Black Wash and/or Green Wash to find the darkest shades again. I try to stick to the edges with any mixture that has green in it, as this will have a pretty dramatic “deadening” effect on the red. It’s best for the deeper shadows.
If necessary, I come back with one more highlight of the final Red Gore-Blood Red mixture –but again I should note that I try to keep the Blood Red from dominating too dramatically the mixture, as it will inevitably look more orange than red.
And there you have all my secrets to Red, Black, Gold, and Stone and Bone. I'll see if I can pull one more color from thin air on Wednesday to round out this series. Fingers crossed.
As ever, thank you for your support.