Monday, December 13, 2010

Recipe: Stone and Bone

This entire week was inspired by the very patient and very kind disposition of Warhammer 39,999. About a million years ago, he asked me to expand a bit on my bone recipe. Naturally, I said “sure.” Then, both my attention and my freetime were summarily swindled by life and whatnot. Belatedly, we are here and we have bone.

But first a quick note or two.

1. Killzone at AdeptiCon has exactly one spot left on Sunday. And that is it. Tremendous news. I’m stunned that with four months to go, we have very nearly packed up 72 possible space.

2. Matt from AdeptiCon was very, very kind to mention Killzone, as well as A Gentleman’s Ones, on the 11th company podcast. Cheers mate. You are too kind. 

3. On that note, I have my first ever “guest post” over at the AdeptiCon Development blog on the subject (of all things) doors, and which you can find here. By all means, please check it out and comment if you are both willing and able.

4. And finally a second shout out to Warhammer 39,999 for his very thorough and very kind response to my question about blog space. Thanks for sorting all that for me -extremely helpful.

OK. This “Bone” recipe is the one that I’ve been using not only for skulls and bones and the like, but also for stone –which might seem odd, but I’ve been getting a lot of mileage out of the same basic steps with only the most minor change in emphasis and no change in recipe. When considering stone, as with today’s example, I simply move the spectrum over slightly from the bone recipe so that less of the whites show and more of the browns and yellow peek through. Apart from that, it’s the same monster.

Also, I should mention that this recipe is largely a foundation affair.


This whole mess begins with Calthan Brown.


Then a mix of Calthan and Tausept Ocre or straight Tausept, depending on how subtle I feel the particular stone (or bone) needs to be blended.


I follow this is Iyanden Darksun. I should mention that these steps tend to be reasonably subtle in the final bone palette, but much more notable in stone.


I then work some Bleached Bone into Iyanden Darksun over the course of a two or three layers with a bit more Bleached in each mix; however, I never reach a layer pure Bleached Bone, as this will contrast too dramatically with the rich tan colors that precede it (again, my humble opinion).


Once I’m satisfied with the way this looks, I generously wash the whole area with a mixture of Gryphonne Sepia and Ogre Flesh (with more Sepia than Ogre –also, note: for bone I avoid Devlan in this stage as it will brown out the yellows; however, for stone I sometimes hit the extreme shaded edges and/or cracks –but only those selected areas- with Devlan in this mix to make sure they are sufficiently dark –although, in today’s example, this extra step was not necessary nor desired).


I then pop back a thinned layer of the last highlight once again, which meant only to break up a space or two from where the wash has pooled, etc.

Finally, for me, is the trickiest last step of the bunch. I take that final highlight and mix in just a drop of Skull White –just a drop. This isn’t so much a highlight as a spot check. I’m not sure what else to call it. I don’t so much paint strokes of this highlight as dot a little bit along an edge, over an eyebrow or cheekbone, just the most extreme of extreme highlights. The blue undertones in the Skull White should make the color really pop out and visually pull what might otherwise be a pretty tan-yellow-brown color directly into the dirty white zone.


And there you have it. 



Thank you, one and all, for the kind support. See you Wednesday for... Black. It's like space, only darker.

8 comments:

Deadmeat said...

Looks like I'm getting some new foundation paints from GW. thanks for the step by step.

Porky said...

Gorgeous effect. It looks easy now, but that's the point, and shows the tutorial works. It should help a lot of us, and with vehicles, bases and even detailing too.

jabberjabber said...

Very nice effect and end result there! Thanks for putting together this tutorial - Cheers.

DrGabe said...

Congrats on Adepticon! That is awesome news indeed.

Thanks for the recipe. Its a bit different than my usual go on stone, but I like the effect very much. Consider this idea stolen!

Bartender said...

The weathered look and the base are stunning¬ Thanks for that!

jarv said...

I would be very interested in that green color used for statues - as I'm in the market for nice greens at the moment... ;] Any chance even for a quick recipe in comments?

b.smoove said...

@ Deadmeat. I have to say, I've really enjoyed the foundation range and the washes. I'm pretty sure that they were developed together and work together as such. At first, I thought it was pure gimmick, but I'm a believer now.

@ Porky. I strive for easy. That's all I know.

@ Jabbers. Cheers mate. Check your inbox.

@ Dr Gabe. No theft necessary. It is yours for the taking. Please let me know how it works out for you.

@ Bartender. Thank you.

@ Jarv. Cheers mate. the green is basically adapted from my verdigris coloring -excepting more Scaly and less Goblin -as I was looking for a more vibrant color. That post is below:

http://agentlemansones.blogspot.com/2010/05/wip-verdigris-step-by-step.html

You can also find my original post on these statues here:

http://agentlemansones.blogspot.com/2010/11/my-way-weathered-statues.html

Let me know if this helps. I'd be happy to add more info to suit your needs.
Cheers.
B

jarv said...

It helped a lot - I know what colors I have to mix ;] I'm trying to get the color for Warmachine Retribution of Scirah cloaks, and your recipe gave me some ideas. Thanks.