Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Memory Lane: Grey Knights


Well. To be fair, these Grey Knights are distinctly bluish silver. As it is, you may have noticed that this creates a kind of visual tension in the army. These Grey Knights are all distinctly blue in disposition. The IG Storm Troopers and Steel Legion allies, are distinctly red and black. To be candid, I didn't know what I was doing, and just tried to paint as I was able or otherwise moved to do so. The army, as a result is a bit of ramshackle thing. No worries. I pulled it all together later by getting even further off the path... well... not really.

As surely as one step follows the other, my initial interest in the Inquisition landed me directly in the path of these Grey Knights. Initially, I wanted them to blend with the red/black stripes of my Inquisitorial force, but subsequently rethought this for fluffy reasons. Surely, these Grey Knights should stand apart as beacons of purity, courage, honor, and the rest of that guff.

So while the first unit looks almost standard in its inquisitorial demeanor, these terminators appear as if the many layers of blue ink have yet to dry nearly ten years later. It’s important to understand one’s shortcomings –and I’ll readily confess that I had no idea what I was doing with the inks back then.

I remember, in fact, bringing these fellows into my (not exactly) local GW store at the time to show them off (I was quite proud of them then, even if I’m not exactly now) to the manager who had been instrumental in my reintroduction to the hobby. He took one look and said, “wow…” pause while thinking for a way to structure positive feedback… wait for it… slightly longer pause… “that’s an aggressive blue wash.”

Hmmm. I thought. Perhaps it is time to rethink my approach to metallic paint.

As an aside, that thinking led me directly to the first “blog” (website really) in which I ever took interest. If you don’t know him, I highly recommend having a gander at Jacob Rune Nielsen. His work is amazing, and he’s got the swords to prove it. As importantly, he has been kind enough to post several genuinely helpful and amazing tutorials and recipes.

Finally, for those of you that will be attending AdeptiCon this year, Jacob Rune Nielsen has just recently been added to the cast of visiting talent, and will be running a series of hands-on seminars for your edification.

Well. I’ve said enough for today. See you Friday when we take a look at how the Inquisition, and my interest in it, began to spiral out of hobby control.

8 comments:

Bartender said...

Very well painted. My favourite part of paintiong a model is highlighting the edges ogf the armour. I see you too had fun!

Michael Hogan said...

I actually like the deep blue color. It only really shows in the recesses, and it looks like a blueish shadow. I'm a fan, but I can see why many wouldn't be.

Loquacious said...

I love the colors and the actual models are spectacular.

Porky said...

I also like the aggressive blue wash. It gives a suggestion of sheen, possibly coming from some kind of psychic energy, and in places it makes the metal look weathered, which plays up the idea the suit is an ancient relic.

The Angry Lurker said...

“that’s an aggressive blue wash.”...that was subtle of him, they look great to me.

Alexander Man said...

I think they look great! Nothing wrong with the wash... That GW store fellow was just jealous...

b.smoove said...

@ Bartender. Ha. Yes. I may have let myself get carried away.

@ Michael H. It was a learning experience, to be sure. It's not my preference these days, but I had to be there to get here if you know what I mean.

@ Loquacious. Indeed. I can't wait for the plastics.

@ Porky. I think that must have been the effect I was aiming for -some radiant light or ethereal haze. Perhaps some day I'll revisit the attempt.

@ Angry Lurker. Cheers mate. To this day, I'm in two minds about them.

@ Alexander M. Ha. Come to think of it...

Michael Hogan said...

Oh, and thank you for linking the Jacob Rune Nielsen page. I want to drop him a thank you note as some point, but I would have never found that page if you didn't leave a link. Great site (not saying your blog isn't! They are completely different in style and function). Cheers!