Monday, January 31, 2011

Memory Lane: There’s Gold in Them Thar Hills (part three)



Of course, it didn’t end there. Within whatever edition 40K boxset, I remember that a series of plastic marines were all the rage. Because I was stuck in my Golden Inquisitorial rut, I could think only of how those plastics could, nay would, come to represent yet another possibility of allies for my growing Inquisitorial force.

To the credit of the codex, it encourages options, opens opportunity, finesses creativity. I just got a little bit caught up thinking about how I might touch upon all those options. In the end, unfortunately, the option-to-tabletop ratio worked distinctly against me (and has since), so that I had created quite a few options that were never, ever really going to get onto the table in any meaningful way –Radical Inquisitors, IG allies, pure Grey (Gold) Knights, and now SM allies? too much is never enough.   

I’m reminded of the expression –“when all you have is a hammer, every problem is a nail.” That’s how I was with the Inquisition at this point, and specifically with the color Gold. Every square peg was summarily pounded into that round hole and, while I still actually quite like the experiment, I am pleased to report that there are a few more tools in the metaphorical (and the literal, now that I think on it) hobby toolbox these days.

So, these plastics got me moving on a SM allies contingent for the Inquisition –although this was actually a speed-spru-painting test that I presented myself. All of the plastics in these photos were painted in one run (cleaned, but still on the spru). It was an interesting challenge that I am distinctly tempted to revisit in the reasonably near future. The method works, I think anyway, for rank and file.


Once they were sorted, I then thought about how I might expand the allied ranks a bit by digging through the drawers a bit. This week is dedicated to what I found.

6 comments:

CounterFett said...

Well, at least the paint looks great. You have enough odds and ends from this project to play one massive mega game. You should totally get an Apoc game in with this army.

b.smoove said...

@ CounterFett. I think Apoc might be the last refuge for this Inquisitorial gaggle. I just need to find the time and space...

Cheers.

Warhammer39999 said...

I'm not a big fan of metallics myself, but they're certainly cohesive. I actually wanted to comment on that first picture and how the foreground is blurry. Have you played with the apeture setting on your camera? With a little tripod, you should be able to get the whole photo in focus.

You always have such great angles in your shots. Even when I don't get time to read through entire posts, I like coming to your site to look at the pretty pictures. :)

b.smoove said...

@ WH39.9K Thank you kindly. The camera work for these last couple of weeks was done very, very hastily before the birth of baby number two. Having said that, I kind of like the blur...

And with regard to the other comment, thank you again. To be candid, I'm surprised that anybody ever reads my ramblings. Cheers for doing so now and again! ha.

Warhammer39999 said...

I wasn't aware of the rebirth. Congrats, papa-revisted!

b.smoove said...

Thank you very much. We are tired around these parts, but it's a pleasant kind of tired.