Brian Carlson (a painting legend and practically a neighbor as it turns out) asked last time about what I had been calling the black and yellow warning stripes after my last post.
Thank you, by the way, Frozen Joe for teaching me that these things are actually called chevrons.
Well. As luck would have it, there were more left to paint on table number 5 between then and now, and I detailed the progress for a little “how to” post. Please forgive the quality of these photos; I was working very quickly over the span of several hours and into the evening. As such, the quality could be better. They are, alas, for illustrative purposes only.
Here goes. I used half inch masking tape and made little marks an each apart along one end of the desired space. That was the easy part.
After that, I took some time laying out each strip of tape and pressing it firmly to the wood. For the most part, I started with the inch mark but eyeballed the rest. Again, this took some time, but for my way of thinking more precision (and even more time) simply would not pay off with a notably better result, so I trusted myself to get it close enough to right.
I then applied the first coat of yellow.
++TOP TIP (I am going to shoehorn the top tip into the meat of this post as it seems most relevant here): The use of masking tape is often time consuming. Moreover, with the grain of the wood, the tape is also a rather haphazard affair; the paint will often run under the any bit of masking tape that has not been pressed securely down into the grain. Likewise, the tape (when soaked) will want to peel up and away from the wood, which means that you really only one pass per coat. A return pass will inevitably slather paint into the tender spots of tape that have lifted.
Never fear. Embrace the chaos. Part of the beauty of the 41st millennium is that it is in a state of permanent entropy. Nothing is new. Nothing clean. Wherever the paint bled under the tape, I covered with dirt and splotches later. This helped create an appropriately random and worn feel to the chevron, while also making a virtue out of what might otherwise be considered a mistake. Hoorah.++
After dabbing a few layers, working toward a suitably splotchy and inconsistent white, I removed the tape and observed the aforementioned damage. At this point, it was an easy matter to splotch on some more brown to cover the most glaring accidents.
I roughed up the entire mess with a wash of either old GW inks, or severely thinned paint mixed with a glazing medium. Either works beautifully, but I am most comfortable with the inks.
At the time of these photos, the tables still require a layer or two of the wash, but you get the idea.
And so it goes.
Thanks for the kind comments, Brian. See you soon.