But first, a wip of tables one, three, and four. oh, and please mind that all of these photos are wips really. The painted products you see below are about half finished, maybe less.
I mentioned last time that, as I re-redrew the maps for the tables, I also painted out a few swatches of GW color. I took these to my local paint store and found reasonable but rough matches for those colors in standard satin house paint (…it was about this time that the Alacrity Raffle started, and I probably don’t need to explain why exactly. Time and resources were beginning to compress. All the same, the Alacrity Raffle went off splendidly and your contributions brought new life to the project).
With regard to the paints, I am extremely comfortable with GW colors and while house paint will be substantially different, I felt and feel quite strongly that I needed to stay at least somewhere in the vicinity of my comfort levels. It is difficult enough to broach a project like this one; I didn’t want to have to reinvent the wheel with colors as well.
(by the way, this question is rather moot by now, but does anyone have a particular expertise with the relative value of house paints… I know gloss is a stronger paint and that satin might not be the best choice, but gloss is glossy and that won’t do).
I also ordered a rather ambitious set of old oop GW inks from Coat D’Arms, the company that made the inks for GW and still makes them under their own umbrella. It was big order, but man I love those inks. All my metallics depend on them, really. And the soil colors lean heavily on various tricks I have learned with them as well; sporadic Brown Ink washes, for example, help make this volcanic dirt look suitably scorched.
With a smattering of brick-a-brack piling up, I also took any opportunity (there were few) to paint modest detailing pieces, like these barrels and whatnot. It is a slapdash assembly, to be sure, but it was something to do before the weather permitted more ambitious work on the tables; it was a gesture that made me feel I was still making progress, and I was otherwise keen to keep the process as streamlined as possible. Those inks helped considerably, as did the assembly line approach. These barrels, cases, and other stuff were each completed with the advantageous use of sprays, inks, and sponging in just a matter of hours. In my humble opinion, they turned out reasonably well.
I have commandeered the top floor (which is now also my office since baby-number-two arrived), and spread out in the space in order to paint various one-bys, dowels, and other pieces that would later become walls and detailing on the tables. I must confess that Ionly had the roughest of notions as to where much of this would end up at this point, but I knew that nothing could possibly go to waste with so much real estate to cover.
Indeed, pre-preparation in general remains, perhaps, the most important morsel from our previous misadventures with the prototype table. Wherever and whenever possible, I have tried to pre-paint anything I am able well before assembly.
I can’t stress this enough. The final nail in the coffin of the prototype table was the challenge of painting a mostly assembled table. I have found another work-around as well, but simple prep has made parts of this project reasonable… the yellow and black warning stripes you see here, for example.
++TOP TIP: rather than open quarts or gallons of house paint every time I need just a dab of paint, I decanted a some of each color when open into these smaller containers (pictured standing in the left corner below). I also poured a bit of glaze medium in each to thin the paint a bit. I carry these about in a handy tool tote and can call upon the service of just about any color for that odd touch-up that appears without great hassle (…and there are seemingly millions of those touch ups. It is endless).++
And finally a sneak peek at the dark, gothic interior table (number six in the sequence).