Thursday, March 17, 2011

AdeptiCon Tables: part two


Inspiration and Sketches

Now back to the looming matter at hand. While I no doubt have taken the Sin of Alacrity (who will, by now, almost certainly be settled in a new home -sniff) as my inspirational starting point, I had decided early on that these tables were not simply going to be the Alacrity writ large. Space Hulk is as Space Hulk does, and I couldn’t help but feel that 24 feet of Killzone deserved something significantly more ambitious, dynamic, and unique (below, by the way, is an image of something similar to how the missions will play out). 

Moving forward, I had two quite clear impulses –I don’t really know where these came from, but there you go: Mechanicus and Trenches. hmph. I have since left these notions behind, but this was a distinct part of the process and remain a significant part of the character of this project. In the end, we’ve all seen Sabol’s stunning Industrial Mechanicus themed table. Why on earth, I thought to myself, would I want my hard work to sit next to this monument to 40K glory. As for Trenches, well, Sir Sidney Roundwood has already accomplished that in quite genuinely stunning form. He’s an absolute legend, and the trenches were ground (excuse me) I didn’t feel the need to tread in his shadow.

So. I sat down and drew out some small sketches on a single sheet of paper.

I whined a bit to myself, I admit. something like this... But I have always wanted to build a trenched table. But I adore Space Hulk and want to recreate some aspects of the Alacrity interior… As I wrestled with all these conflicting impulses, it came to me. I am building 6 tables. Why not make each one some small aspect of EACH IDEA that I’ve ever wanted to dabble with, to reward every impulse that I ever wanted to indulge. Trenches? Well, not exactly, but something similar. Complex interior spaces with removable doors? Certainly. It would be rude not to.

Because I believe that it is silly to do things by halves, I also demanded that I make the tables fluid and the run contiguous as well.  Ah bollocks.


yet here’s where the real world helped push me off the proverbial precipice. While relocating my office space into the midst of my ever dwindling hobby space, I stumbled upon two more items that I had in stuck awy: first, a map of Pompeii; second, a book on Roman architecture. Once I opened that door, inertia took over.

Planetside. I needed to get my feet back to planetside. The tables would be the skeleton of a preserved but abandoned city and the progress of each would be a step from the exterior toward the interior of the city… (think the Mary Celeste but on firm ground and in the distant future). I still had no idea why 24 individual Special Operations Groups might fight over this city, or why, or where that city might be, or what they might fight over, but the inspiration had struck me between the eyes and I was in absolutely no position to ignore it. 

I rarely am. 

I could have trenches outside, doors inside, and everything else that I wanted in between. What else might I want in between, you ask -well, those trenchy things to start, an arena (Pompeii had a few), a motorpool, a reflective space of some description, a town center or piazza, and then that Alacrity-esque interior.


And why not?

++I must thank each and every contributor to the Alacrity Raffle once more. Unfortunately, there could only be one home for the dear Alacrity, but please enjoy these next two weeks of posts on what your contribution made possible. Thank you.++

6 comments:

Da Masta Cheef said...

How is the Mrs. coping with the never ending tables project? I hope you aren't wearing her patience too thin...

As for the Alacrity, a buddy of mine was only 2 numbers off! He really had no where to store it even in it's disassebled form, so in all likelihood it would have ended up @ my house...

So close! My fall back plan almost worked, but to no avail.

Tallarn said...

Holy cow, that is a huge project. My wife would end my life over that many tables appearing for a project.

Excellent work and a truely grand plan. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Could you put some sort of Space Marine chapel into the city? For me? ~ Innocent smile? ~

Basic SM > Spray White > Dipped in a Dark stain

I can tell you how to dip if you don't already know. :3

- SilensEdge (Anon)

b.smoove said...

@ Cheef. So close. I wish there could have been more than one winner.

As for the tables, Mrs. Smoove is a very, very patient woman, and she recently reminded me (during one of my grovelling fits) that I had been preparing her for this since last Autumn. Persistence, it seems, pays off. and shameless grovelling.

@ Tallarn. See above.

@ SilensAnon. Hmm. With two weeks to go... I'll see what I can do... ;)

Anonymous said...

<3 Thanks. If I have the money then I shall be donating for this raffle!

-Silens (Anon)

Sidney Roundwood said...

Good Lord, B !!! Where to start? This is a monumental endeavour. Simply monumental. And truly wonderful. I didn’t realise that THIS was what you had planned for Adepticon! As someone who has spent more time in my own garage in the past few years that I care to mention building terrain, I can only salute you and your long-suffering wife.

A couple of things struck a chord.
“As I wrestled with all these conflicting impulses, it came to me. I am building 6 tables. Why not make each one some small aspect of EACH IDEA that I’ve ever wanted to dabble with, to reward every impulse that I ever wanted to indulge” Bravo, Sir, Bravo. Part of the envy of the ‘new shiny’ (rules, figures, terrain, whatever) is bound up in us lusting after something we don’t think we have in our own chosen hobby project. The key to happiness is to spy out in other projects things we love, and try to bring those objects home in our own projects. I know absolutely where you are with this.

“Because I believe that it is silly to do things by halves, I also demanded that I make the tables fluid and the run contiguous as well”. Oh my Good Lord ! That is brave....really brave. But also really inspired. Trying to turn your six tables into a contiguous mini-campaign theme is really wonderful. And, perhaps above all, its so very much in keeping with the heart of the best writing in The Black Library. For those on that journey, I only hope they find Pater Sin waiting on the final table!

I only wish I was coming to Adepticon!