Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Old Stuff Day


You may have noticed that there are quite a few tremendous new things (a new layout as well) happening over at Warhammer 39,999’s aptly titled blog Warhammer 39,999.

If not, stop by and say hello. Hello.

Among the new ideas floating about there, you will find this. WH39.9K has declared this otherwise unassuming date official Old Stuff Day, in which we -the intrepid bloggers of this fine blogosphere- (re)share one of our personal favorite posts that may have been unnoticed, unloved, or otherwise overlooked. It’s a great idea with plenty of traction.

I actually have quite a few of these posts –some of whom were stranded at the outset of this blog when it enjoyed only two, maybe three followers. I can’t help but think some good material slipped into the ether back then. Having said that, the site is only just over one year old, and I thought it might be a bit crass to reach waaaay back to, oh I don’t know, November.

Still. Here’s one that I enjoy (purely for the hobby of it) from a decent while ago that certainly could use some fresh air:



OK. With quite a few projects on the burner right now, and with an entire week (more really) dedicated exclusively to half-finished models, you’ve been both very patient with -and very supportive of- the amount of WIP work that I’ve been posting lately. Cheers for that. Still WIP is as WIP does, and I know there's more to this hobby than base coats and spilled paint.

So, it's finally time for a finished product.



Here is the first of seven Chaos-Plague-Cavalry-Bikers (what a mouthful). He’s done in the conventional Arrugginiti rust and red highlights. Nothing surprising there.



(Pitmann, ignore this paragraph if you are reading). As the name suggests, I fully intend to play his squad as Bikers with the mark of Nurgle. They’ll be expensive, for certain, and with tremendous movement, undeniably solid assault, Toughness 6, and two Meltas, I expect that they will be on the receiving end of some potent attention. Also, if they turbo boost, which they very well may to get those Meltas in range, they can pick up a soft 3+ cover save for good measure (I'm thinking of a new name for "turbo" as it doesn't quite work with the horses and galloping boost seems, well, soft). If they're not getting shot to all bejeezus, they should be a genuinely grand presence on the tabletop... Oh, and they look cool.



The base is from Dragon Forge and, once again, I must say that I’ve had a number of truly excellent experiences with them now. I recommend. Highly.



Tune in tomorrow for the final gasps of the first transatlantic Hailed vs. Hated battle report.

...and there it is. But wait!!!

I couldn't really decide. So today you get two for the price of... well they're all free anyway. The following is actually one of the very few posts on A Gentleman's Ones that is over one year old -hailing from the murky depths of February 28, 2010. Enjoy some more.


This Daemon Prince was inspired by the simple awesomeness of the new plastic Minotaurs, and by my desire to put those Minotaurs to work in 40K. He is still very much a work in progress –I estimate that he is currently about 75-80% completed, but far enough along that you will get the idea.

The winged Daemon Prince picture here was originally the focus of all my attention, and primary impetus for two DP conversions; however, he was rather brazenly usurped by his land-locked cousin on account of the more compelling narrative elements of that model (the WIP of which was the substance of last Sunday's post). So it goes.

And so, this monster has become something like the “experimental” model of the pair –the one on which I test out color schemes (in this case: skin, hair, wings, armor) and other sundry techniques.

More importantly, this is my first go at the lava that I’ve come to appreciate on any number of bases that I’ve been spotting on the internets, and in particular the bases in this tutorial by Tagsta. I don’t actually follow that blog (forum?), but I found this tutorial simply by googling “lava bases tutorial,” and it appeared on the top of the list. It’s that easy sometimes. Anyway, I borrow from it heavily. Cheers.

One step beyond: I have added a final layer Gloss Coat to the lava (‘ard Coat, actually, but I prefer to call it Gloss), and in that final layer I’ve also mixed in just a tiny drop of Red Wash and Sepia Wash into the Gloss in order to blend the layers and keep the tone vibrant red rather than orange. I’m not too sure about the exact effect, and I have to admit that I found the solution rather difficult to control, but the Gloss Coat alone seemed to make only a modest contribution, so I wanted to spice it up a bit. The jury is still out on this one.

Nearly the entire palate of this model revolves around Dark Flesh and Tausept Ochre. The skin, for example, has been worked up from Dark Flesh to Camo Green, and then highlighted by adding small amounts of Tausept and Bleached Bone to the mixture. This was then shaded again with a wash of Dark Flesh and then Sepia. The fleshy parts of the wings were done with Dark Flesh and Tausept with generous washes of very thin Dark Flesh and Scorched Brown. The hair, by comparison, is Tausept worked up toward Iyanden. The skulls are the same but will have additional highlights of Bleached Bone and some small touches of Skull White for sharp contrast. These will also get a thin wash of Sepia. The cloth on his weapon is Tausept and will be shaded back with Scorched Brown. Even the metal areas take Dark Flesh as their base color.

As you can see from these simplified descriptions, the same colors have been used throughout to amplify or complement one another. Although there are different hues and shades brought in to create solid variation, the basic elements are consistent and quite limited throughout the model. I don’t always work this way, but in this case I feel quite strongly that the limited palate makes for a necessarily coherent model. Moreover, this coherency helps keep him grounded against the very, very bright (potentially distracting) hues in the lava. Obviously, I didn’t want the model either to compete with its own base or seem too confused with a wildly varied palate.

So far. So good.


For those keeping score at home, there’s a clue or two about tomorrow’s post in a few of these photos. See you then.



4 comments:

Porky said...

I love the textures you get, and here especially for the metals on both minis, the sense of corrosion most of all. The palette and style of the prince are also superb, and have some of the earthier tone of old school fantasy artwork.

Warhammer39999 said...

It's hard to believe your blog is already a year old. If you'd have asked me, I never would've thought you could keep up your frantic posting schedule this long, or have accomplished so much.

The knight looks fantastic, but then again, I'm a sucker for any conversion that involves the chaos knight steeds...

Thanks for the kind words about the blog. I'll pass them along to the other guys.

Admiral Drax said...

Love those models. Love 'em.

b.smoove said...

@ Porky. Cheers, my good man. I've got a more ambitious post on that rust under recipes if you get the gumption. I'm flattered by the old Fantasy comment as well.

@ WH39.9K. It's been great to watch this thing take off. Brilliant idea. Wonderfully put together.

@ Admiral Drax. Thank you kindly.