Saturday, April 2, 2011

AdeptiCon: Tables (from Thursday evening)


The above is a teaser-trailer of the action we have enjoyed already this weekend, but really this post is a quick pic-heavy collage of the tables as they appeared after a modest but significant amount of lifting on Thursday evening. Next year, I must remember to request the aid of a proper team of Sherpas for this particular leg of the journey. 


Well. This is a glimpse of how the tables looked in their unadorned state before gaming began. At this point, there were still a few details to finish, believe it or not, but you will get the basic idea of the layout and I will like to save those other details for the following sequence. 

I am posting these by now "old" photos only to mark and celebrate the moment, which for me was a monumental part of the process. Until this moment, I had not yet genuinely seen the whole monstrosity properly assembled and completed in proper, full-frontal gloriousness. 

You see, the lot upon which I live is approximately 25 feet wide. The tables are 24 feet running directly into glory, which means the we were never really able to assemble the whole bundle in one proper heap during the entire creation process. Of course, this method of manufacture allowed a problem or two to appear as if from thin air (at this point, if you cannot see them, I will not direct your attention toward them), and I will confess that I was a bit vexed to see the odd hiccup or two  despite all that effort. I will also confess that I am my own worst critic; after two months of concentrating on these monster, and after at least another month of looking for all those errors, it has become a difficult reflex to ignore. Also, I am painfully aware of all the other little ideas that never made it onto the surface in a way that, quite thankfully, others will not be. Ah well. As Tall Paul has so often reminded me, "version 4.0 will be better still." 

wait. what. version 4.0???








Anyway. This was a moment of peaks and valleys for me, but wondrously more up than down.

And so, with no events to run today, we (the ace team assembled specifically for these events) stole a rather selfish but modest game or two without interruption. More on that monumental event and more on the scheduled events in the near future. 

Finally, I foresee another problem; one could quite easily get used to playing with this kind of elbow room. 

12 comments:

Elbrun said...

They look great all set up. Loved your WIP posts on them. Too bad I couldn't make it to Adepticon to play on them though.

Tallarn said...

I simply cannot fathom, nor my wife for that matter, how you got those doen in such a short amount of time. My hat off to you sir: those are tip top. I hope anyone who plays on those tables appreciates the hard work you have put into them.

The dude abides.

Zero said...

I saw them leaned up against the wall this morning. They are absolutely beautiful!

Messanger of Death said...

Wow... I can remember when you first posted the concept drawings. They look fantastic.

Porky said...

This is making a lot of us regret not being there. They look superb. I hadn't got a good look at the end rooms before, and they contrast very well with the wilder spaces. I can imagine this is enormous fun to play over.

Tallarn makes a good point - how could you get this done to such a high level in such a short time? Magnificent.

Old School Terminator said...

A great game to match great tables. I plan to bring it back to Michigan to start demos soon.

Student Teacher said...

Those look terrible. Can I have them?

Seriously though, fan-friggin-tastic.

Loquacious said...

seriously elegant beauty.

Dethtron said...

seeing those in person was just fantastic. great job man.

Sidney Roundwood said...

They're wonderful, B Smoove. Simply wonderful. OK, the construction is skillful and adept. The care and precision is laudable. The finishing, first class. So far so good...

But what really makes this outstanding is the vision. How did you honestly dare come up with such a mad, wonderful, insane idea, AND have a social life and a family. Perhaps the really incredible thing, is that you did it. B Smoove, Sir, you did it, you really did it.

Simply total win!

DrGabe said...

These tables are magnificent! Seeing them in person at the Con and watching hordes of gamers ignore the Crystal Brush showcase and marvel at these tables was something to see in order to believe.

Again Brent, these tables were awesome. My personal favorite were all of the door controls. Very nice touch.

I hope to get a chance to play on the tables more next year.

Brian said...

...belated but profound gratitude, one and all.

In particular, Sir Roundwood, I must thank you for your own tabletop efforts and the inspiration they have provided me. Cheers.