Saturday, May 14, 2011

Top Tip: but first, shame on you



I know what you are thinking, and you know what you are thinking, and we both know that you should be ashamed of yourself.

Generally speaking, I use the paint stick when priming my models; however, I spent a lot of time in various art supply stores during the period immediately preceding AdeptiCon and, on one such trip, I spotted these odd little fellows in a bundle of about 50 or so. Yes. Yes. I know. Stay with me.

In the spirit of something new, I figured that I would give these quirky things a trial run some day. That day was several days ago. And why not.

As you will note, I have conveniently entered phase two of my Warmachine expansion (in which Amon Ad-Raza gets his oats) and, as more than a few of the Warmamodels are quite precariously situated, I wanted to step away from the stick. Although rare, I have dropped a model or two off the paint stick while twisting around for that difficult nook/cranny and, considering the aforementioned precariousness of the Warmamodels, any tumble would be utterly disastrous.

The pictures really tell the story here, so I would like to add a note on calamity and precariousness: I acquired some new generic super glue and gave the plastics a bath before assembly. The Heavy Jack went together wonderfully, but the Light Jack still gave me all kinds of bother. The poor bastard has more pins in him than… ummm… something with a lot of pins in it all the time. I’ll get back to you on that one.

The light spear-and-magic-helmet jack is together, but the experience has discouraged me from attempting light plastic jack number four. You can see part of that jack on the base of Heavy Warjack number two, and you will likely be seeing more pieces of him on various sundry bases in the future. It is a tough world. Get used to it.

On the other end of the spectrum, the metals worked as expected, both for better and for worse: plenty of pins (one in each hand for Ad-Raza, which makes the pose a little off. oh well) and one or two each for the choice’s little scroll thingys. No significant problem. That is what one would expect after all. 

The delicate parts behaved as they will  –the choir leader lost the top of his staff because it was so desperately placed …and I am holding my breath for calamity with Ad-Raza’s ball and chain. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. Still, he is such a tremendously cool model that I absolutely must paint him and, if all goes to plan (please hold chain –please hold), he will be my Warcaster of choice for the future. 

So back to the digital-prophylactics. 


They worked a treat. I was able to hold each model as desired and to twist/turn each model as needed, and found all those challenging crannies with an ease that would make the paint stick envious. Of course, I neglected the pinky and paid a small price for my carelessness. I would not endorse this method for large batches –for that I’ll stick with the stick- but for the small, individual effort or a special model with difficult spots, I expect to break these odd fellows out.


At ease, boys. Get some rest. 


See you Monday for Top Model …according to me: #9.

11 comments:

Rushputin said...

I've been using rubber dishgloves instead of a stick for about six months now. It's just... less complicated.

Faolain said...

You can also use a plastic sandwich bag, it's far cheaper.

Tallarn said...

well, yes - but if I used those I wouldn't have to scrub off the first two layers of my skin every time I did anything hobby related.

Exfoliation FTW!

Tenzing said...

Personally, I use a plastic bag over the hand (freezer bag, shopping bag whatever)- old habit picked up from painting in stores.

Nice to see you're sticking with Warmahordes btw- and that you got round the plastic issues from your previous post! Looking forward to seeing them painted now.

Gotthammer said...

Probably not a bad idea for gluing. I've got a spot of paint on my thumb under a spot of araldite - it's not coming off any time soon.

Mr Saturday said...

Latex gloves are my choice. Available everywhere in boxes of a million. Also very handy while working with older lead miniatures, and during general assembly.

Fred said...

Half the fun is getting paint on your hands.... head .... feet .... the guys next to you .... the celing

Warpaintguy said...

pygmy condoms??? lol. Tha seems to be a lot of work mate and you still have paint on your pinky.

If you want cheap and easy I would say pick up some gloves from the gas station. gas stations here provide them for kepping your hands clean whilst refueling. you can take as much plastic gloves as you like for free!! no sweeter deal then that. (although I heard about riots in australia about higher gas prizes but that aside)

I recently did an article on undercoating: http://warpaintguy.blogspot.com/2011/05/undercoat-tutorial-not-just-for.html

as you can see I'm still a big fan of the stick 'n bag method. just make sure you use enough blue tac.

The Inner Geek said...

Are you priming on the roof?

Brian said...

@ Rushputin. Dishgloves. Excellent idea.

@ Faolin. Nice one. I hadn't thought of that either. How well does the grip work with those bags?

@ Tallarn. Indeed. I've been there.

@ Tenzing. More to come, for certain. The Choir is almost completed and then I might reward myself by painting Ad-Raza... I can't wait to get to him.

@ Goth. Consider that paint a souvenir from your hobby to you. ha.

@ Mr Saturday. Again, that's a great idea. I hadn't considered wearing gloves or whatnot during assembly, but now that you've said it... well, I can't believe that I never did. Cheers.

@ Fred. quite right.

@ Warpaintguy. Another brilliant idea. I need to make posts like this more often -considering all the superb feedback and ideas this has gathered. I noted and appreciated, I should add, your tip on blue tac during sub-assemblies. Cheers.

@ The Inner Geek. Always. We have something like a little patio on the rooftop that sits just outside my workspace. It's reasonably convenient if unconventional.

Derina said...

but you did get your little finger