Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Top Ten Models.... according to me: #6 Big Boss



I must admit that I dithered on this selection for a good, long while. I remained uncertain in large part because he is posed in one rather solid block of a lump; his posture is not exactly dynamic, and thus he might seem to contradict quite a lot of what I had argued for in my selections 7 and 8. Indeed, this Big Boss is about as straightforward as a modern HQ model will come.

Still, there are some redeeming moments with regard to the aforementioned design elements; for example, the wind that catches his tabard and the fur above him pulls the eye toward the Klaw, while the tubes into his arm and connecting wires push the eye back into the body of the model. And yet, the right arm and the head create an entirely new axis that have the potential to stunt the design effects that I am trying to describe. At the end of the day, the effect is neither as potent nor as subtle as what we saw with the Haemunculus, but then… he’s an ork.

Well. Never mind all that. Here is why I believe this model has earned his spot on the top ten models.

He is amazing. If the pose is reasonably lumpy, and the design straightforward, he compensates adequately in three simple categories.

1. The model is ferocious and imposing. He genuinely lives up to the orkish script. I am not one to “waaagh.” Ever. Nothing against those who do, mind you, it is just not in my nature. This model, however, is the closest I will ever come.

2. He is positively loaded with details that make the above true. Look again at that Klaw…  at that Boss Pole… at his buckle… at the pair of shotguns on his back. That is great stuff. There is quite a lot of visual complexity (if not design complexity), and this rewards the painter of any level. The better  you are, the more you can pick out. etc. Look, for example, at the way the shotgun handle interacts with the hair above. Clever stuff.

3. He is plastic. If one desires, this otherwise bulky model is ready to be chopped and glued and treated to all kinds of conversion goodness. Consider this level of detail in relation both to the ancient plastics that I discussed in the honorable mention, as well as in comparison to item 2 above. This model brings a new measure to what can be accomplished with plastic. In my humble opinion, that is tremendous news. More plastic, I say. More.

8 comments:

HOTpanda said...

The entire Ork range is saturated in details. Cause of this to paint an Ork horde is paint to the nines.

The Angry Lurker said...

It also helps that the paint job is brilliant.

The Inner Geek said...

I agree with everything you said here. I also agree with The Angry Lurker. I guess I'm very agreeable today.

Brian Carlson said...

Brian, I'm really enjoying your top miniature series. It's a fun article.

Skarvald the Troll-faced said...

Great choice for a number six, Brian! The Ork Warboss was my first painted HQ in this hobby and the first model that I dedicated some time to pick out the details, etc. It definitely does not look as good as your Warboss, but the miniature introduced a bunch of new and interesting techniques to me for the first time:
1) Using more than one kind of wash to achieve different effects on his weapons.
2) Freehanding: Well.. if painting black and white squares on his bosspole counts?
3) Blood splatter: Oh yeah.

Great series, as Brian mentioned. We still need to hang out and talk about Adepticon!

Maerduin said...

You're my favorite 40k blogger.

Brian said...

@ Panda. It is genuinely a labor of love. Alas. I have only scratched the surface.

@ The Angry Lurker. Thank you very much -very kind of you indeed.

@ The Inner Geek. Let's keep the streak alive! ha.

@ Skarvald. Cheers mate. By the by, we've got to chat sometime soon. I am on vacation now, but we'll need a proper sit down when I return. Great things in store.

@ Maerduin. Thank you kindly. I'll do my best to make sure that doesn't change.

Brian said...

oh and...
@ Brian. Sorry I missed this first time around. Thank you. Great to have you back, by the way.