Sunday, July 3, 2011

HoA: Table Progress (5)


As it turns out, I am actually away for the holiday weekend so this post is a bit hasty and thin on, well, me –or at least my ramblings- and heavy on photos. Also, the last two posts were queued, which accounts for the uncommon delay in my response to your comments. There will likely be more of the same before I return later in the week. Please accept my delay in good humor and all that.

And so. Here are a few shots of table progress taken not too long before I left last week. Naturally, Boyzilla was on hand to help in his own particular manner. He grows.


As you can see, the “ground floor” structure is starting to come together and all those spaces underneath are hidden (but not lost, as you can still access them throughout the two board edges as well as through various tunnels and stairs). With this ground floor piece fitted, but not yet nailed, we are branching out onto the remaining city spaces before building upward with the remaining hive “foothill” layers as well as the insulation foam that will compose the industrial wasteland hive exterior.












By contrast, I would like to risk the label “smug” here for a moment and draw a stark comparison. For the holiday, the wife and I have packed the wagon and taken the family out west, you see, and there is a notable lack of post-industrial muck and other forms of “grimdark” inspiration in my current surroundings. Behold.


Glorious.

Ahem. Well. Last time, I mentioned a scrap yard and forge. Today, I would like to talk about the latter.

I have passed the forge about a million times, and always wanted to return with a camera. When passing at night, one can often hear the deep sonorous hum of the melting/slag pits and see the peculiar, otherworldly, orange glow from the fires. In the odd hours, we often here the whistle calling shift changes.  While wildly evocative to the imagination, I am also comforted in these trying times, that such work exists.

So. I recently ambled down to the river for the research and photo opportunity. Unfortunately, I only managed the task with my phone, not a camera proper. On an otherwise very, very warm day, the heat coming off the giant ingots was staggering -just staggering. Well, here’s what I found:









Industrial wasteland made to order. If that is not a fair representation of Armageddon, I do not know what might be. It’s enough to make one want to stay in the mountains.

2 comments:

Porky said...

Breathtaking landscapes of all kinds. I love the model's eye views especially - evocative and even a little scary. The overall arrangement of space is very intresting too. How can you improve on this?

Brian Carlson said...

Really turning out nice. Very dark, very real.