Saturday, July 9, 2011

Top Ten Models.... according to me: #5 The Librarian



Yes. I bought two. The original Space Hulk game (circa: days of yore) was my transition point from Epic (then called Space Marine –a game that I adored but played maybe two or three times total) into the 40K Universe as we know it; Space Hulk was also inspired my unceasing affection for all things Terminator. Granted, the transition in full from Hulk to 40K was about a decade delayed, but that pause was created by circumstantial, more than aesthetic or ideological, obstacles.  

Regardless, I loved the original Space Hulk and when I saw the plastics for the new game, well, I couldn’t have possibly resisted. I am not suggesting that I purchased the game solely for this model… not precisely, but I would have thought about it even if the rest of the game were absolute rubbish (which I am pleased to report is not).

You will not be surprised to read that I simply adore the fact that these models have been created in plastic. Obviously, this has lent itself quite generously to conversion and personalization; it’s pretty much a compulsion, but one that I encourage as a matter of principle. Make it yours. Always.

Fundamentally, I enjoy the sullen, morose gesture of this model. The step. Down. As if he condescends to melt his enemy’s mind.

His face is clearly the focal point of the model, and that face is wonderfully intense. His look is focused, sharp, and brutal. I am reminded (appropriately and in no small manner) of the first entry on the list of top ten models –the Magus. There is stunning power in the understatement of this model’s appearance but, while the Magus is frail, the Librarian is massive and foreboding.

Of course, he also appears quite bulky and perhaps seems restricted by his own mass and armor, but this fits firmly within the concept of the Terminator, and particularly within the Terminator Librarian.

Despite that solid girth, the step, and the row of skulls beneath it, helps shape the force of the model’s imposition –helps give the model a slow and purposeful inertia, like a ten ton train traveling at two miles an hour. Remember: Force equals MASS times acceleration.

If there is one strike against the original model, I would argue that this appears in the force axe, and the cord supporting it. The axe head appears to flat across the model for my liking and that power cable appears a bit too clunky and forced –it certainly adds little to, nor relates soundly with, the movement of the model.

And so, I return once more to the pleasures of plastic. I had an easy enough time simply scratching away the cable, cutting the axe head, and replacing it with something more forceful/direct in both shape and gesture. The cape I added to reinforce that sense of movement. 


But I must insist that these modest alterations are more cosmetic than substantial. The model is a wonder all its own.

Again, plastic, is there anything you can’t do?

7 comments:

Porky said...

For me too, the face and the step down are what makes it work, and both are obviously very well sculpted. The storm bolter being lowered adds a lot too I think, the sense that he's relaxed even though he really shouldn't be if he's on a hulk. The step down and bolter give the whole a very leisurely solidity.

Casey Dean said...

Fun Fact: That Librarian is actually Mepheston before he became Mepheston.

The Inner Geek said...

Good pick. The terminators in the new Space Hulk box are all, in my opinion, great models. They each tell a story in their pose and overall demeanor.

Big Jim said...

I concur that is one of the most epic models, and I also agree with Inner Geek all the models in the SH set are fantastic!

uniteallaction said...

love your Models

HOTpanda said...

To me he would fit in perfectly in a Grey Knight force. He just seems have that look about him. Great conversion you did there Brian. You added so much more to an already great model.

Porky said...

Very quiet here. I hope all's well and it's just down to the Heroes of Armageddon deadline.