Thursday, August 4, 2011

Heroes of Armageddon: Inspiration (1)



Today, I am going to revisit the photos that I posted early on in this caper and join those images with some more detailed photos of the tables; specifically, I intend to contrast those moments in which the tables deliberately try to emulate what I found kicking about town.

GREEN and GREY with RUST BENEATH:
This one was likely quite obvious. I deliberately toned down the green here in order to more accurately mimic the GW Foundations range, as well as to make the color scheme come together more fluidly. The Grey color I reserved for the underhive to ensure that the two elements were visually distinct. Moreover, the underhive had more space to be grotty and horrible, as befitting the grey coloring.  







RUSTED PIPE:
This pipe leapt out at me early in the process and I wanted to be sure he found a happy spot on the table from day one. I was not thinking about any grand gesture (though there ended up being quite a few pipes in the final mix), but rather a more simple statement about the mysteries of industrial machinations. Why on earth is this pipe here and to where does it go? Where do any of them go?



BRIDGE AND ELEVATIONS:
This one was my favorite. Perhaps a more bold architectural gesture, I stumbled a bit when thinking how I could get a bridge onto a table depicting the desert of an industrial wasteland. One word. Sewage. What better example than the Chicago River, which now flows in reverse thanks to the miracles of modern engineering and which politely sends nearly all of Chicago’s stinking onions down the Mississippi. Hello New Orleans.



RUSTED GRATING / STAIRS:
These images were always going to be more difficult to reference with precision, but Tall Paul spotted this grating (for ceiling lights I believe) and we had a notion that we were going to make it fit somewhere, somehow.





INDUSTRIAL DETRITUS and SMELTING BINS:
As mentioned with the first appearance of these images, the Forge that rests along the river near my home has reached a nearly mythical status in my imagination. And again, two of the most interesting aspects about it cannot be recreated here (or on the tabletop): the deep, hum of the fires and the staggering heat coming of the place at all hours.You can also see in these photos where my ideas about the ashen/dust colors should emulate.





And there you have it. 

Next post I will revisit a more open-ended source of inspiration, specifically the "‘geddon on it" series from the Porkster at Porky’s Expanse. If you somehow missed this, have a gander at the minimalist, poetic sketches that Porks created for the HoA project and then revel in the way he has built a narrative, a reality, with casual and seemingly effortless strokes.

5 comments:

HOTpanda said...

With me moving to a new city perhaps attempting to mimic your incredible table will help pull some of the basement gamers out into the sunlight. As always your tables blow my mind away leaving feeling like I was just shit with a bazooka. Thanks for sharing. Cheers

Brian Carlson said...

Brian, what a great article. It makes so much sense to snap pictures to try and recreate rather then trying to stumble through without any reference material.

I think my camera on my phone is going to get a lot more use. Especially driving in traffic (gotta stay safe) there are a ton of industrial trucks that will be great sources for weathering.

It's funny, my wife gives me a hard time now when we're on trips. I was in Pisa, Italy and took 15 minutes just looking at stone wall to see how it naturally has variation. She had a good laugh.

Porky said...

It looks good long, but these detail shots are where the magic is, and most of all on those floors and walls. The amount of texture is amazing. Everything seems covered, and in naturalistic and different ways in different places.

That grate is inspired too and gives the interiors a good mix, from the dingy and cramped to the relatively airy, which fits the art over the years, and the expectations we have from cinema and video games too. The impact is bumped up by this too, that it plays into what we want from this kind of landscape.

I think I've said something similar before, but what you're doing here is really useful, giving other terrain and board makers a step up in thinking, making it easier and better for all of us.

Porky said...

Kind words on the stories too. They make me want to go and do something similar again. Not surprisingly I'm interested in what you have to say next post...

Brian said...

@ Panda. You are too kind, sir. Thank you.

@ Brian. ha! My wife has made similar comments. Having grown up on the mean streets of A.H., I might make some recommendations.

@ Porky. Indeed, I hope you do something similar again. I will be a devoted follower. Thank you for the tremendous contribution to the HoA project.