Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Rule Bretonnia!



In recent weeks, I have been asked many, many times about what is next on my plate. After the really rather intense sequence of ambitious table projects for Killzone at AdeptiCon and HoA at Gamesday, I have decided to reel in the hobby zealotry just a bit.

But only just.

Bretonnia. I must thank both Pappa JJ and Roberto Vo5 for their very generous donations to the next chapter in this grand hobby experience. Both of these fine fellows have been astonishingly kind and giving toward the (leathery, rotting) meat and (rare, uncooked) potatoes of this fledgling force. Admittedly, and with some measure of shame at that, my Bretonnian misadventures –ahem my WFB misadventures full stop- have been over a year in the making; in fact, I have yet to actually play the current edition, but hope to remedy that quite soon. To that end, I have finally jumped in the deep end of this project with two units of roughly 30 old peasant archers each.

One thing that always bothered me about Bretonnian armies as I have seen them is that they often seem rather thin on the peasantry in favor of the more viable and worthy, but foppish, knights. If any army positively begs for teeming hordes of wretched and unwashed reprobates, surely this is it.

And so this is my start. Of course, I intend to indulge a few noble knights along the way, but I aim to field at least 100 peasants of some stripe in any 1000 point army. We shall see what happens from that humble start.

In order to accelerate the drudgery, I have sprayed these fellows in two colors (the second as the merest suggestion of a highlight) and a wash before bringing brush to the task. The third photo (of my second unit) below here gives some idea of the effect that I am searching for –grimy, dull, dark, and uniformly so. I must admit that I have never, ever tried to paint 30 nearly identical models in one sitting before… more on that experience as it develops.  

After I have finished the first 100 peasants, I intend to reward myself with a Trebuchet (thank you again Roberto) and/or a few knights. Then it is back to the peasantry for round two.

Rule Bretonnia (in the imperative)!

Competitive? I haven't the foggiest, but doubt it.
Fun as all get out? To be sure.

10 comments:

MiCho said...

awesome...will be keeping an eye on this. I've tried to do an all peasant army before, but too many models lol.

HOTpanda said...

Digging the new endeavour as I am about to be dropping a rat bomb into the Fantasy realm. I aim to start a horde of Skaven with the foundation being slaves. I will be keeping a close eye on your Bretonnia posts. Cheers.

Porky said...

I'm interested in seeing this too. It's a theme we don't see played up very often, but a very evocative one and the minis look the part.

Da Masta Cheef said...

...the peasants are revolting!

Alex said...

Ah, 5th edition style peasant bowmen, I have a soft spot for these guys. Once my Lizardmen army is finished, I want to repaint my old Bretonnian army. I look forward to seeing more of your warriors from the most oppressed of Brettonia's social classes.

But I do implore you, why stop at one field trebuchet? At 90 points each for a high strength stone thrower, they're a steal - reward yourself and bring two to the party!

The Inner Geek said...

They may not darken the sky with arrows, but they'll certainly smudge it nicely.

Papa JJ said...

Peasants smudge everything.... [Sigh] It's great to see the Bretonnians underway, I'm very excited about following this project. Including such a large amount of peasant infantry will look really impressive. Good luck, Brian!

Skarvald the Troll-faced said...

Holy Crap, that's a lot of Peasants! I can almost smell the despair and the inevitable feudal oppression.
I'll be starting Ogres as my Warhammer Fantasy Army and be done with it, damn it. Gave up on Skaven. Gave up on Orcs and Goblins..

We need to meet up and play a game of.. whatever!

Brian said...

Fantastic! Glad to see some one else pick up the heraldry and fight for honor. I can't wait to see what your army ends up being at the end.

Brian said...

@ Mike. Cheers. I would have loved to see your efforts. The rank and file of this horde are going to be painting to an extremely modest standard.

@ Panda. An excellent choice sir. Talk about embracing the horde army!

@ Da Masta Cheef. "You said it! They stink on ice."

@ Alex. Sound advice, indeed. I only hope they produce it in finecast... and soon.

@ The Inner Geek. I wouldn't have them any other way.

@ Pappa JJ. I cannot thank you enough.

@ Skarvald. Deal.

@ Brian -commendable and seaworthy name, by the way- I cannot promise that "honor" will always be the halmark of these louts, but one must have aspirations. cheers.