Wednesday, October 26, 2011

For the Love: The Emperor




…yes. well. Not that Emperor.

I believe this fine figure is meant to be the Emperor Claudius, whose legendary frailty might begin at least to account for the bent knee, though one might simply attribute this to a bend of another kind entirely; I see, for example, some very distinct “Carry On” references in his facial caricature. ohhh. errr. Of course, that might just be me.

No matter. He is a wonderful sculpt and, a tremendously expressive character. To my mind, he is (is/was?) meant to be a Senator or other noble personage responsible for the Cohort that I never. quite. pulled. together.

Not yet, at least.

I painted this fellow after my first AdeptiCon 2010 –over a year and a half ago. I came away from that initial AdeptiCon experience wildly energized (also freshly back in the States after two years in, well, Rome) and strongly motivated to create a grand, ambitious Roman project. I had no ruleset in mind. I have yet to find any genuine use for the first 20 legionnaires that I painted at the same time. They are just sitting there.

This sad turn of events places the miniature firmly in the “painted for the love” shelf, but I still have very, very high hopes that this will change in the reasonably near future. The aforementioned ruleset might help me find direction; certainly, a list would at least point me toward a tangible goal.

Until then, I have 25 more legionnaires assembled and based… waiting… alongside some very exciting Celtic mercenaries or conscripts or whathaveyou. We shall see.

Thanks again Pappa JJ.

4 comments:

Monty said...

'Infamy! Infamy! They've all got it in for me!'

Love it,

Regards,

Monty

The Inner Geek said...

So when do we get to see some Legionnaires?

fester said...

Well Scibor does some Terminator-scaled Legionaires for Space marine counts-as / special characters, maybe you could do a roman themes GK list or something?
Go with this mini as the Inquisitor and bob's your uncle.

Brian said...

@ Monty. Cheers, old chap.

@ The Inner G. Sooner rather than later... I hope.

@ Fester. Crikey! Now that's an idea!