Monday, November 14, 2011

Dreadfleet: First Impressions (2)






The Minis:
When I first saw the press releases for this game, I had difficulty grasping the scale of the ships. With my greedy mitts on the matter, I think GW nailed it. Too small would have made the game feel oddly situated and distant (I struggle with Epic for this reason); too large might have made the ships feel flamboyant and cumbersome. For my money, the GW team have found the perfect middle ground.

And the models themselves are unexpectedly beautiful.

Unfortunately, I do not have clear photos of the ships. My birthday is not until the end of the month; however, before our big game some weeks ago now, Chris sent over his scenery. He was quite pressed in his struggle to finish all of the ships before the night in question and I was quite happy to oblige.


As such, this scenery happily lives in Chris’s collection, and I was able to indulge a very rare “dry run” on a project like this. Indeed. This also afforded me the opportunity to photograph all this glorious scenery at my leisure before the big game (hence many of the gameplay images from last post are, admittedly, rather rough). For the most part, I followed the advice offered in White Dwarf, but amplified certain colors and generally tinkered here/there. Once I have my own copy, I will post a step-by-step if there is interest out there…

In the mean time, the scenery makes the game in my opinion. The ships are superb (see last post for a brief digression/discussion of the design aesthetic), but I really admire these scenic sculpts. They were a breeze to work up to a decent standard, and I cannot help but feel that the designers were thinking about how paint lands on plastic throughout the composition thereof (though I have no practical experience, I would not say the same for the ships. Apparently, they are a mare to paint and demand some considerable sub-assembly). We shall see. These islands and wrecks and general flotsam detritus are splendid; as importantly, a few basic techniques and a wash or two sort the matter. Unlike standard figures, true drybrushing works wonderfully, as the chalky effect natural to the process only helps amplify the “rocky” appearance of the stone itself. Win.  This makes decent work extremely fast and extremely easy. Win again.

Because I am me, I have already been tinkering with the idea of picking up a few extra boats somehow (bitz? Ebay? can you hear me?), converting them, and drafting a revised fleet or somesuch. In such an effort, I would likely tone down some of the wild, hyperbolic drama in favor of good old fashioned swashbuckling mayhem (take, for example, the Swordfish with a rudder and proper keel modeled for good measure. Scramble up a revised statistic card and Bob is your proverbial uncle).


The Cost:
As I will be receiving the game in celebration of, and for the mere coincidence of, several… cough… decades… cough… of my existence, I can safely say the game is worth the money. heyo.

I will also say that if I was not to be gifted the game reasonably soon, I would pop out a get one on my own gumption. It’s not cheap, but you get plenty back for the pain. Moreover, my impression is that it will be an ideal go-to game on those nights when rum is in the air.

Ahoy.


++QUICK FAVOR ALERT: my lovely wife is in the process of completing her master's degree in Teaching English as a Foreign Language. For the linguistics part of her thesis, she is required to collect data on the perception of non-standard practices. She has created a very short, entirely anonymous questionnaire (open to all) to gather said research. If you are free, easy, and inclined, please click here and answer candidly to help her compile the data. The questions are designed to open a discussion on the perception of gender, race, and occupation within various non-standard practices. Again. Totally anonymous. All are welcome (native speakers or otherwise). The more data the better. You have my thanks in advance. Cheers!!!++

more dreadfleet:

8 comments:

Ben said...

Had a go at the survey, but not being American I have little idea how Americans speak.

Cameron said...

I did the survey. Your dreadfleet scenery looks good. While I wouldn't mind playing the game every now and then, the idea of painting those ships really puts me off it!

The Inner Geek said...

I can't wait for you to crack open your birthday copy. Off to the survey now.

Von said...

I've never heard anyone say half the things on the survey and suspect it would contaminate the data if I answered (I'd just be making stuff up a lot of the time).

Will give this for Dreadfleet - it does look smashing.

psychobob808 said...

survey completed

DrGabe said...

I love the scenery pieces that you'v done. The colors (assuming a bit of OSL techniques) are pretty sweet. The board looks like a blast to play on.
Waiting to hear how the game goes after everyone is done oogling over the little pieces!

Zerloon said...

Dreadfleet is a very good game in my book :D

I'm Italian, so I think I'm not useful for the survey :D

Brian said...

@ Ben. Thank you very much. No worries about the Americanisms; the data was more about perception than genuine identification. Your help is greatly appreciated.

@ Cameron. Thank you! (x2). I'm a little concerned about those ships as well. The scenery, however, was a breeze.

@ The Inner G. Thank you. Neither can I.

@ Von. Thanks for the consideration. She's collected quite a sum, and your discretion is very much appreciated. Cheers.

@ PsychoBob. Thank you kindly.

@ Dr Gabe. Good to hear from you again. The volcano piece and the fortress island were my absolute favorites, precisely for the reasons you mentioned. Cheers.

@ Zerloon. ha. figurati, e' niente. graziemille per i pensieri. a la prossima.