Friday, November 18, 2011

First Impressions: Wreck Age



[++RETROACTIVE DISCLAIMER: although I didn’t at the time of this post, I now work with Hyacinth Games –the people that bring you Wreck Age. For the sake of full frontal honesty, I thought it best to announce this retrospectively so that there was no appearance of unseemliness or whatnot. You get the picture. ++]

 Earlier this year at AdeptiCon (which feels like a very long time ago indeed), I met a fellow named Anton who was very helpful in his response to and participation in the Special Operations bonanza. At that time, he mentioned most casually that he was in the process of developing an entirely new skirmish game and wondered if I would be interested in having a peek as it all developed.

I am extremely pleased to introduce: Wreck Age.

You can find the beta here, and the kickstarter here. I recommend a proper ogle at that artwork. This is not just your standard startup. This is for real.

Although still in its relative infancy, the “universe” that Anton and his team have created is really quite cool, with a dose of sci-fi and Wild West with Mad Max and other notable inspirations thrown in for good mix.

There’s plenty of room to explore yet, and I am particularly looking forward to the ARHK (autonomous region of Hong Kong) faction as it comes together.


Take a look again at some of these concept sketches.

Here are those links again:



I had the opportunity last weekend to play through the beta a few times and found the explicit mixture of tabletop skirmish and RPG really compelling. Though I’ve not really been into RPG since junior high school (roughly age 12 for those outside the U.S.), I found this game a very gentle path between what might otherwise seem exclusive possibilities. This was really quite refreshing in my mind.

Moreover, the game itself is simple and abstract enough by design, that we felt able to play rather quickly. There is plenty of room to add complexity as you desire (to start, we instinctively limited some modifiers for clarity), but the open nature of that tabletop skirmish RPG dynamic that I mentioned above serves amicable players really quite well. There’s room for the players to explore the game itself, which I find one of the most simple and rewarding aspects of our fine hobby.


Oh, and combat is brutal. There isn’t any of this “my dood got hit in the face with an explosive round but shook it off with his 2+ aura of hiding.” Not at all.

Take a look. If, like me, you have been leaning toward the skirmish game, I think you will be pleased with what you find.

8 comments:

Porky said...

It looks fabulous, and the hazy zone where skirmish meets RPG is for me a very compelling place. Getting it right is tricky of course, but I hope very much they have. The approach they've taken to development also seems very well tailored to the market, especially that thinking on scale, going big on the concept and scope, but making access easy.

Lord Siwoc said...

I too have pledged some money to this project. I feel that more and more I have been drawn to the skirmish games. And this looks great! The artwork itself speaks volumes, just hope they manage to make the minis just as great. It is indeed looking promising!

GoldenKaos said...

When I shall procure more money from the state, I shall also pledge it towards this enterprise. I am leaning ever-more towards the skirmish level games of late, partly because every single kill or death is far more exciting and crucial than your 2k points 40k game, and because of the obvious financial advantages. It's also a fantastic excuse to create characterful terrain.

Anton said...

Thank you SO much for the kind comments. I hope that we'll live up to these lofty expectations... We'll certainly do our best!

I look forward to playing games with you all at Adepticon!

William Ashcraft said...

I am interested in this. A skirmish RPG game, is this similar to Necromunda? We're looking at getting a group together for that but assuming similar concepts (character progression in a small scale game) I would rather go for a game that has support for it.

Brian said...

@ Porky. As a man firmly outside the RPG discourse, I am challenged to talk about that middle road; however, from my point of view it seems a solid place between the two -with neither element tilting the scales too far so to speak. I am curious what a more experienced and mature roll player feels on the matter.

@ Lord Siwoc. Fingers crossed. And I agree, more often than not, my hobby time has been spent on skirmish games. It's a nice place to be.

@ GoldenKaos. haha. I agree. Skirmish games have been scratching that hobby itch for certain.

@ Anton. Cheers indeed.

@ William A. There's a little Necromunda in there, I suppose, but I feel that it's a much more ambitious departure from the "40K lite" reputation that Necromunda (deservedly or otherwise) seems to have earned. In fact, Anton and company have found a really interesting world to populate.

William Ashcraft said...

The world really wasn't a concern for me. I'm really wanting is the progression of miniatures during a campaign. I'm in the kick starter and on the forums for it though. I can't wait to check everything out though.

matt said...

Hey everybody thanks for the kind words!