Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Lupine Resolution




This evening’s post is a very small break from the rigorous Killzone revision process, in exchange for an update on a motivating and fun achievements checklist courtesy of everyone’s favorite troll-face, Skarvald.

Last week, I spotted this post and thought, hmmmm... now there’s an idea.

You might like to check it out. Skarvald has created a “100 thingsto do” gauntlet for the aspiring (or, in my case, completely pedestrian) Space Wolves enthusiast. I say this shamelessly.

Now. I must admit that, to date, I have played exactly one game with my Wolves as Wolves… and that was a Killzone game last week vs. FrozenJoe’s DE menace. I know. I know. I promised a break from all this Killzone discussion, and I will honor my word.

That game, as the keen reader will have already noted, was not the first time that my humble and sometimes confused Wolves appeared here on A Gentleman’s Ones. In fact, they were created for two quite specific purposes:

-first, as a unit of “pre-personal-heresy” Terminators from the now functionally retired Onorevoli chapter. They were a kind of hobby smash-and-grab that I used to think about the historical failings of my erstwhile favorites…

-and second, as a stand in unit for the Space Hulk models (note that they were fashioned with a rather unlikely combination of wargear: TH/SS as well as AC with the obligatory Chainfist in the margins). Nothing against those fine Space Hulk sculpts, of course, but variety is the spice of life.

Call it hobby multi-tasking.

Well. Skarvald has inspired me to revisit these bad boys with a bit more zeal and a spoonful of modest ambition. I have already started preparing a few Fenrisian wolves as a pleasant little side project from all the other side projects, and have acquired the basis for a Tundarwulf conversion of sorts. We shall see.

I have no real intention of beginning an entire Wolves army, mind you, nor of casting my lot in rigorous tournament play. 

Either one of those options would be a giant leap in the deepest end for me right now. There’s enough on my plate already; however, I fully intend to tick off as many of these as I am able to the best of my ability. It’s an inspiring challenge, which makes a fine resolution for the new year.

Updates to follow under Lupine Resolution. 

And why not. 

7 comments:

Skarvald the Troll-faced said...

Man, and the list of achievements is growing and growing! Thanks for the mention, Brian.
I too am excited for this list as it will allow me to kind of relax and enjoy my Space Wolves. They have been too competitive and harsh on some people, and frankly I've been getting slightly boring with all the usual stuff. That's why I created the list of achievements as a way to shake things up. ;P

We need to hang out. This Wednesday? E-mail me, sir.

Son of Dorn said...

Functionally retired, eh? We'll see about that... :)

airbornegrove26 said...

Really liked this post Brian, makes me want to start some Space wolves.

Skarvald the Troll-faced said...

@airbornegrove26: You totally should, man, because Space Wolves are the greatest. Ever. Indeed.

Brian said...

@ Skarvald. You are my favorite troll-faced Space Wolf enthusiast both on the internet and in the greater Chicagoland area that also plays Orks, and I mean that. Sunday has potential?

@ Son of Dorn. HA! I'm looking forward to your post. Apologies that I let the holidays eclipse the list I was meant to send you. I will get back on that for certain.

@ Airbornegrove26. Thank you very much. I have made my new KZ list and will be getting glue to plastic sometime this week. More soon.

Son of Dorn said...

Don't worry about it. I was just teasin' :) Been pretty busy, myself.

Gonna write up a couple Stormraven lists in anticipation, too. MUAHAHAHAHA! :D

Skarvald the Troll-faced said...

@Brian: Sunday has tons of potential!