Friday, March 2, 2012

Old Stuff Day

You may have heard mention that today is Old Stuff Day, so ordained by Rob at the recently remodeled and reworked Warhammer 39,999. To honor his inspiration and to participate in this day of reflection, I have elected to reach back to a post that originally appeared in July 2010, and which (rather adroitly) features Warhammer 39,999 himself.

Enjoy:


I bet you’re happy to be off the Sin of Alacrity for a bit. It’s been nearly two weeks now, and that’s a long time for the earthbound. I know.

Well. I mentioned Sunday that I was positively delirious with the need to get working on WH 39.9K’s extremely cool Chaos Marines, and so today is a bonus WIP on that commission. Each of these models represents a test for what will hopefully be an entire squad done in a similar, or possibly identical, color scheme. WH 39.9K has  some reasonably specific ideas about those colors and kindly sent along a bullet-pointed outline of the five test schemes in question. And I should be clear on this one. These guys are not yet finished. In fact, I'd estimate about 70-80%.

To my way of thinking, working inside someone else expectations has been both the real challenge and the real pleasure of this commission. By comparison, Pitmann simply says, “go” and I do. Perhaps Ironically, Pitmann's approach can  at times be a bit debilitating because I’m constantly trying to anticipate what I suspect he might like, and I’m never entirely sure if he does. He's also very polite, which is usually a wonderful (and rare) characteristic... just not always in this circumstance.

Instead, I’ve got a clear focus about my purpose here, and a precise model upon which to shape my painting. This saves me from falling (moreso than I already have) into the time-suck in which I simply stare at the models for uncounted time thinking thinking thinking.

The challenge, however, has been to mimic accurately WH39.9K’s style. He, for example, tends toward a more muted red than I would normally, and his black is highlighted much differently (with blues up to a near gray) than I would be inclined to in my own standard painting (I tend to favor browns and to keep my blacks very, very dark). Interestingly, this has also made me completely rethink my use of black. So, once more, the challenge is also the pleasure of it all.

Of course, the models themselves are also a tremendous part of the fun in all of this, and it is very interesting indeed, basically, to watch the evolution of GW’s ideas about CSM in these models. So many elements that are commonplace today are here in some mutated form within these minis.

There is, for example, the basic Chaos emblem on the should pad of the third example and, for that matter, the shoulder pads itself looks very much like what we now know as standard CSM. Likewise, there are at least two emblems that almost resemble the standard Khorne design we would recognize today (some of which you can see on the should of the three fellows above).

Also, I’ve found more than a few odd components that I miss a bit and would like to see back, to be candid: the organic backpacks for starters. I really like the strange faces and clawed lines that run along the packs. Likewise, there are strange faces on guns, etc. that make me think John Blanche still had a nearly overwhelming influence in the design at this time. These odd details make the whole model look a bit more metamorphic (which, one must surmise, is certainly why/how these visual clues got shuffled over to the Tyranids when that army arrived in good stride). Again, however, it’s really interesting to watch GW think these things through on an actual model.

Likewise, I’ve enjoyed some of the odd weaponry and metamorphic limbs. Two of these models (numbers 2 and 5 in the sequence here) have limbs that blend into a weapon of some description -very cool. The plasma gun, in particular, is so weird and wonderful that I found myself simply staring at it for ages.This final guy, if you were wondering, is still absolutely my favorite of the entire project, and I will (nay, must!!!) convert something in his honor imminently.


Speaking of being dumbfounded, the prospect of a whole army of these guys? Fuggeddaboudit. 

(You may have noticed that there are six CSM pictured here. The second one from the left -all the way in the back- is the sample that WH39.9K sent me as an example to emulate... glorious -just glorious. Oh, and beneath them at left, you can just spot the outline from WH39.9K. very helpful and a little intimidating).

…and, by the way, in all this clamor you may have forgotten about my very own Daemon Prince Number Three, but I most certainly have not. Sunday we return to our regularly scheduled WIP for a look at his progress.

15 comments:

Mr Saturday said...

I must say, I totally love these old chaos marines. To me, these are what chaos marines should look like. I'm lucky enough to have pretty much an armies worth of these guys.

Shame I don't play 40k at the moment. Still, you never know with 6th...

Ian Logsdon said...

God these are amazing, I would slaughter legions for GW to start making an army's worth of unique models like these.

Admiral Drax said...

Wow - old skool!

I have to say that (being the staunch Imperialist that I am) I generally dislike chaos...but my real bugbear is specifically how very organised, uniform and reliable chaos always seems to be on the tabletop!

This is what it SHOULD be...

Porky said...

The more time passes, the better those sculpts get. It's true for me too - this is how Chaos really ought to look, or getting on for it.

Monty said...

yeaaaah ! Nice !

Von said...

Drax has the right of it. These are Chaos that actually looks, well, Chaotic, rather than More Openly Grimdark With Spikes And Horns On.

Brian said...

@ Mr Saturday. I am envious beyond measure that you have an entire army of these fellows -even if you don't play them. Just the having is incredible.

@ Ian L. Ha. I, too, would love to see something like this back on the books... it's seems terribly unlikely though.

@ Drax. As with the others, I am in complete agreement.

@ Porky. Indeed. I wonder which contemporary models will age this well.

@ Monty. Cheers.

@ Von. I concur with your concurrence. Solidarity.

Mr Saturday said...

Dang, now I'm all riled up to dig them out...

Brian said...

@ Mr. S. Dig, man. Dig!

HOTpanda said...

You bath our imagination in the dark ruinous powers of the warp and your ability to render your canvass with its life force. I'm left speechless at the life you have injected into each of these relics of the past. Hope you don't mind me throwing you a shout out for your old stuff on my weekly themed top-x. Cheers and thanks for sharing.

Captain Richard's miniature Civil War said...

Awesome looking bunch

fullborer said...

ah, nostalgia.
I especially love the circular-saw-blade tail mutation.
not sure where I could use that, but I *really* want to...

Brian said...

@ Captain Richard. Thank you. Much obliged.

@ Fullborer. Agreed. That model is my favorite for sure.

slobberblood said...

I love the old models and I am glad I've never sold them or gave them away. I think I'm still the proud owner of almost all of that range. Great work!

Brian said...

@ Panda. Too kind, my man. Too kind.

@ Slobberblood (great name, by the way). I am sooo wildly envious.