Thursday, March 22, 2012

Special Operations Killzone: Explained –ROSTER


++but first a friendly reminder. I will be shipping the first massive batch of Killzone Cards and Tokens on March 26. If you want to get yours in the first run, be sure to order sooner rather than later (if not, don’t panic… the second batch will ship April 9). Go ahead. Get yourself some. Proceeds are going to help us build 10 KZ tables of gloriousness++ 



As if coordinated, or otherwise just fated to be, I have recently received a roomful of emails with regard to legal Special Operation: Killzone team lists for AdeptiCon …and it got me thinking.

First, I would encourage all interested (attending AdeptiCon or otherwise) to make sure that you have the most current iteration of the rules. They have not changed substantially in the new year (with only a small bit of tidying and a clarification or two), but it’s a good idea just to make sure that we are all on the same page. So go have a peek and re-download if you are even remotely uncertain.

Second, have a gander at these “roster sheets” that I scratched together while trying to consider a relatively easy way to keep track of the tweaks we have made to the basic 40K ruleset. Specifically, I suspect that it can be reasonably easy for the infrequent player (I confess that I am one of these myself) to get a little lost in some of the restrictions. There is a lot going on in our modest little game, and I think it worthwhile to have all the information necessary in a reasonably small space. You can download the roster here.

Of note, you will find specific slots to place all of your upgrades, which is supremely helpful in ensuring that your team doesn’t double-book or overlap when it shouldn’t. At the bottom, you will also find a very helpful checklist of sorts designed to keep all the basic standard and weapons restrictions tidy and readily identifiable.

In sum, you will find included here space available for 20 possible infantry –should you have a list that requires all of them (yet to see it myself)- with the Team Leader in the primary post, as well as a slot for the odd Walker available to teams that way inclined.

As importantly, I have included a space to keep track of specific mission parameters and objectives. You now have a spot to record the identity of that “Traitor” or whatnot right there on the roster. Life should always be this easy.  

To be candid,I don’t know why I didn’t think of this sooner. Really.


Here’s a sample form that I filled out for my “Armored Might” themed Space Wolves list.


On the final page, I have also included “backs” that are sized perfectly to fit the front of your army’s roster entries. With a very small bit of effort and creative printing techniques, the keen and the interested can print out a list and make a simple set of cards (I know. I know. I can’t stop myself) should one feel inclined to add that extra bit of awesome sauce to your Killzone recipe.

Speaking of cards and awesome sauce –make sure you order your tokens and cards while the getting is good. 

5 comments:

steinerp said...

Nice rosters. Would you be willing to share an editable version rather than a pdf?

MasterSlowPoke said...

Should you be able to take wargear Fenrisian Wolves in an Armored Might list?

Son of Dorn said...

Nice roster sheet. I wonder if folks would be inclined to make a Killzone add-on for Army Builder...

Brian said...

@ Steinrp. Absolutely. I made them in Apple's Pages program, and I'm not certain how to make them "workable" otherwise. If Pages doesn't work for you, let me know, and I will find another way to make them available.

@ MasterSlowPoke. Good question. As wargear, they sneak under the restriction (it's a bit like buying an extra attack or two, with wounds to boot). I should note that as wargear they are also removed along with the Lone Wolf if he becomes a casualty.

@ Son of Dorn. That would be a dream. For my part, I feel good about life when I send an email properly; Army Builder is shockingly beyond me. Ha.

Son of Dorn said...

It's my understanding that additional modules for Army Builder are all fan created. Perhaps you or Big Jim could start a section in their forums for it. I bet folks would be behind it quickly. They add the new IA books within about a month or so of release. I bet they could get Killzone done in a month or 2.