Monday, April 16, 2012

AdeptiCon: Combat Patrol -a final word on net-list nonsense



After all the bread and circus, I am feeling much, much better about all this net-list nonsense. Before this conversation began, I had a very distinct and misguided impression that tournament environments must revolve  around the list one brought, and that competitive types (all of them) would quite capably tell me the outcome of any game based purely on a perusal of the lists coming to the table.

That is what internet wisdom had me believing any way ...and this had me tremendously worried. I wanted to participate, but did not want to be a laughing stock.

And then Brent stepped in to crush those misconceptions -with manners, good taste, and breeding I might add. But he wasn’t alone. Wyatt, another top tier player and ace individual, has offered some really quite formidable, practical, and genuine advice (which I’ll share once I’ve asked him permission to do so).

In sum, here is what I have gathered about list creation:
1. in the run-up to the event, one should play with everything that one has as much as possible (in my case this is only six games and a small proportion of proxy models).  

2. Pick and play whatever –absolutely whatever- makes you happiest.

3. …and whatever you actually have painted.

And there it is. Net lists and internet wisdom be damned. All that worry for basically nothing more than what I have always/already been doing anyway. I am tremendously relieved and once more looking forward to the event in equal proportion to my earlier reservations

So here is the Combat Patrol that I will be fielding on the day, accompanied by a few WIP photos of the Wraith prototype.  

5 Warriors
5 Immortals
3 Destroyers
3 Wraiths (2 whip coils and 1 particle caster)

400 points.

I still have some painting to do on this lot, but everything is pretty much in place. I’ll call it 75% done. With mere days to AdeptiCon, that seems almost manageable. As for the Wraith, I was inspired by another blogger for this conversion but, in the mix, I have misplaced the reference. I would like to give credit where it is due, so if anyone can direct me to my lost inspirational post, I would be greatly appreciated. 

inspired by DFG, but sadly not allowed in combat patrol. sniff.

I have also been generally, necronly inspired by the good chaps at Dark Future Games -who, by the way, are holding a cracking giveaway-contest-slash-boozefest. Go get 'em fellas.

Now back to building tables.

7 comments:

Brent said...

I think the list is aces, man - it seems the process has worked!

For what it's worth, here's my take on tournaments: you get in what you put out if you keep in mind you'll never get back what spend.

Yeah, a typical Brentism. Makes no sense on the face of it but there is a point.

I've genuinely enjoyed every tournament I've ever been to, large or small, but I could have won every won of them and still wouldn't have recouped my investment in this hobby. Prize support, if it comes one's way, should be a pleasant surprise, not the goal.

That's not going to be a problem for you, of course! You're a genuine dude who's there for the experience; of that, there is no doubt. My prediction? You'll have a blast!

Which is the only way to recoup any monetary losses. :)

Brent

PS: Wyatt wouldn't care! His email cuts to the heart; post it already!

Neil Gilstrap said...

It's good advice that you were given. Lists do matter but they are generally an extension of a thought and lots of practice.

Always, at the end of the day, the guy who has practiced enough to execute on a concept will do better "in general" than those who do not. This does not mean winning every event attended but almost always does mean doing very well.

Wonky missions, in my opinion, are actually a much greater predictor of the success or failure of a match-up, followed then by poor/good terrain, THEN by player practice and thought with their army, then, maybe, by the lists involved. That's a lot of "unknowns" before you get to the net list. (Most GT winners don't have a net list either. They usually have a list that is the culmination of having started many months ago with a concept and then having evolved into that list)

Brian Carlson said...

I would agree, it's less about list optimization then it is about practicing and getting to know a list you're comfortable with. List optimization is what we do at work since we can't paint models at our job (at least most of us!).

swanson4969 said...

Hey brother just play what you like. I won the first combat patrol event finsihed best general in the second one and a hair out of second in the third before I started helping run it. I had a list that a lot of people said wound not work, but no what I am undefeated at Adepticon. I am so tired of people judging whether a list is good or not online never playing against it. Play a list that keeps you interested and challenged. Play what makes you happy.
Greg

Old School Terminator said...

Thanks for the shout out. As to the subject, I cant agree more. Our local group is full of 40k vets and nobody runs netlists and when we see them at local events, they rarely mobe beyond low to mid tables. Experience trumps netlists everyday.

Brian said...

@ Brent and Neil. Brilliant. Thank you. It's been refreshing to find that the game absolutely isn't what the internet makes it seem at times. This humble hobbiest just might find a space in the "competitive" scene yet.

@ Brian. Ha. I've actually started posting from work these last weeks due to an internet outage at the house. Timely. Looking forward to seeing you this weekend.

@ Greg. As above, this is extraordinarily refreshing and encouraging news. I'm really looking forward to the event.

@ OST. Looking forward to some games this weekend. See you soon.

HOTpanda said...

The internet community within our hobby is but a fraction of the gamers out there rolling the dice. The competitive internet community is even smaller but with all that said they have a loud boisterous voice. It is extremely hard to here over all the screaming and ranting that they do but in the end they are not the only voice coming out of the warp. It's the quiet voices, like your own, that attract the moth to the flame.