Monday, May 21, 2012

State of the Blog: Housekeeping


If the previous post was titled "the basement of death," this post might easily be identified as "the top floor of despair." It's a harsh but fair assessment. 

A funny thing happened on my way to the blogosphere in the week running up to AdeptiCon –a singular event that resonates even today. Because when it rains, it pours…

The goodly wife, family, and I are in midst of a tremendous slow-motion upheaval. We put our home up for sale (fingers crossed) in the week just preceding AdeptiCon, which means that my hobby space undergone some astonishingly dramatic “revisions.” Under the appropriate notion that an entire room of plastic clutter and nerditry might not improve the chances of a timely sale (except to an improbably focused demographic), I have necessarily gutted my hobby space. It hurts. Badly. But if there’s a reward at the end of this, well…

The timing, of course, could not possibly have been more calamitous and I am only now just making headway in re-establishing a home base nerd space.

What’s worse, in the shuffle of material I must have crossed a wire or two and utterly panned our internet at the house. We are not amused. Uffa!

Like the hobby space, we have slowly brought ourselves back to some functioning internet services at the homestead, but if the posts here seem rather intermittent lately… well now you know why.

Worse yet, we will not officially move until the end of August. Slow motion moving nightmare. The Horror. The Horror.

7 comments:

steinerp said...

Have fun and good luck. My wife and I moved at the beginning of the month. Nothing like going to Adepticon when all your stuff is in boxes!

This is fortunate as my game space has now increased from about 2ft by 4ft with some storage and taking over the dining room table to play a game to an entire room. The room is far from finished (I still need to build an actual table.)

However, I did get paint out for the first time this weekend and painted up a couple of test models. I may not know where my pants are in the new house, but I now feel like the move is complete.

Best of luck with the move and selling the house.

Son of Dorn said...

Still in the process of unpacking my hobby area and I moved about 2 months ago. So much clutter and so much to do!

Son of Dorn said...

And I see your subscribe feature has returned, in some form. :)

Captain Kellen said...

I will have to get some pointers from you since I will be doing the same thing next spring...

Till then I'll be in the 'sympathy' corner...

CK

Sidney Roundwood said...

I feel your pain, Brian. When we sold our last house 8 years ago I was under strict instructions to place all hobby stuff in the garage. It was like having a geek-scrub or nerd-cleanse.

I hope that the good news is that a new place will hopefully give you yet more space to expand the terrain construction to a truly epic scale!

J.D. said...

Good luck to you sir. My family and I recently moved up to Lake Geneva Wisconsin from Chicago after I took a management position with a local resort (and missed Adepticon and Killzone in the process!)

We placed most of our belongings into storage excluding, amongst other things, my miniatures. Now 25 years worth of terrain, tools, paint and stuff I just want is buried until we purchase a new house. At least you planned ahead.

Best of luck and keep up the good work...I'm not missing next year.

Brian said...

@ Paul. I'm going to have a designated hobby space in the new house as well, and the thought has me positively giddy. When house-hunting, I always insisted that the new place should have a "nerd wing." We settled on a single room.

@ Son of Dorn. Slow and steady wins the race, or so I'm told. I can't take credit for the follow button. Blogger has its own agenda.

@ CK. I am distinctly not enjoying the process thus far...

@ Sir Roundwood. Nerd Cleanse indeed.

@ JD. I'm in Chicago myself. 25 years of stuff... it does add up doesn't it. I've been stunned (and the wife modestly unimpressed) at the sheer volume of it all.

Cheers fellas.
B